cavity floor and radon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi- Moved house, and our radon test has come back high so we need to do something about it.

The house has a mix of concrete and suspended wooden floors (traditional construction joists and floor boards).

I have read quite a bit about how to reduce the radon. If i understand correctly, a sump under one of the concrete floors with a fan to the roof will be fine.

What about the wooden suspended floors? Everything i have read about radon seems to point to a concrete slab being required or adding more air bricks, which isn't practical.

Can I take up the floor boards, dig down about 300mm

150mm hardcore

50mm sand

Radon DPM tied into existing brickwork below existing DPC

100mm concrete

Is this ok? what should i do?

I would like to keep the floor boards if possible because plumbing and wiring will be a nightmare in a concrete floor.

Sponsored Links
Why is adding air bricks not possible? This is the most practical and effective way of removing the risk. If well ventilated the void beneath the floor is effectively outside the dwelling. Your void should be well ventilated to prevent damp anyway.

Thanks for the reply.

The front of the house are wooden floors with a void underneath (1st living room and passage/stairs), and the back of the house is concrete floors (2nd living room and kitchen).

If I add more air bricks to the front, i assumed this would have no effect as there is no through air passage to the back rooms?

The floors are wooden and have big gaps in the floor boards. I thought adding more air bricks would make the room drafty and colder than it already is in winter so didn't want to do that.

Maybe i should as a starting point?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back