Cavity trays

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey,

I was wondering if there should be plastic drainage holes above this flat roof upstand?

The wall is supported by 2 metal ibeams with no supporting wall underneath. I'm had a leak onto the ceiling below of about 2-3 pints of water so trying to figure out if this is a possible cause.

Attachments

• IMG_20200606_194948_0~2.jpg
    IMG_20200606_194948_0~2.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 208
Sponsored Links
If it's a cavity wall there should be a tray and weep holes, the tray is the important bit for small amounts otherwise any water that finds its way into the cavity will come through into the room, but the weep holes are needed to drain any significant amount of water

Thanks for the reply ,

I can not believe that they haven't put weep holes in this area. I was hoping that maybe where roof upstand enters the brick it acts like a weep hole but obviously not :(

So would you say judging by my pic there are no cavity trays above the rubber upstand?

If the damp is directly below the centre of the wall, suspect no tray. If it's below the line of the outer wall edge and towards the underside of the roof, suspect the flashing or upstand.

The tray is the important thing, not the lack of weep holes

Sponsored Links
Above where the leak is there is a balcony door which was my first suspect as alot of areas of the leak are the void space where the door is so there is no wall directly above but it could move along the metal support joist I guess..

Also this is more than damp, I had water dripping from the light socket and it's made a small hole In the ceiling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back