cavity wall damage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a friend with a house built in 1925 which has cavity walls. She is wary of having cavity wall insulation injected as she has seen a TV programme about the damage this can cause.

I haven't see the program or heard about this. If anyone has any advice on this I'd be glad to pass it on.

Sponsored Links
There's a massive literature out there on the pros, and cons of cavity wall fill.

The key issue, in my opinion, is that a thorough survey is done prior to any work beginning.

As above, you need to have the wall checked first. To do this properly, you need an independant surveyor, not one attached to a cavity-wall insulation company because they will always say 'yes, it's OK'.

Typical problems arise if the wall ties are covered in mortar droppings, whereby water percolation to the interior becomes easier'

Some bricks used on the external skin may not be suitable - the outer skin becomes colder and wetter with the insulation in place and softer bricks can then suffer frost-damage.

Sponsored Links
I've looked up the subject online, as suggested, and found a lot to think about. I'll pass on what I learned from that and from yourselves to the lady in question.

I'll strongly suggest that she has a pro independent survey done if she decides to go ahead.

Thanks very much for your replies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back