cavity wall finishing at ridge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, this question maybe roofing as much as wall. building a couple of lean to single storey extensions. I need some help on how to finish a traditional constructed cavity wall (100mm cavity) at the top,
should the cavity wall be sealed with slates or such?
on another point..
my builder has left the sarking on the roof 300mm short of the verges each side, is that normal practise ?
He said it is to prevent the sarking board getting damp in future and he proposes th bridge the gap of 300mm with slate or tiles.
My cavity wall is 300mm, so the sarking finishes just at the inside of the inner wall.
I thought the sarking and roof membrane etc should go over the complete roof area..
Any help will be appreciated,,they begin work again tomorrow,

Sponsored Links
Thanks Alistair,

I meant to say VERGE not ridge...the builders have stopped the sarking 300mm short of each verge, they propose to fill the gap with slate bedded on mortar then extend the battens over this area...is this mental or normal.
the builders are foreign, thanks to a close friend who recomended. so I am not always sure they know the scottish/UK standard methods.

Thanks

Gables are usually left open with the insulation brought right to the top.
In fact at the eaves detail it is encouraged to allow the cavity batts to continue to meet the loft insulation forming a seamless barrier.

Internal door and window jambs are usually stopped with cav' closers.

Roofing battens as with the felt are extended all the way to the cloak, being kept short of the edge by only 20-30mm.

However if you are using the dry verge system the battens are kept flush with the edge of the cloak.

Sponsored Links
I meant to say VERGE not ridge...the builders have stopped the sarking 300mm short of each verge.

This is quite normal and good practice.
as stated full fill cavity and felt to edge of verge battens to suit verge detail.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back