Cavity wall insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Now I hope this isn't too silly a question but can an upper flat have the wall cavities insulated without downstairs being done?

Also how do you know if it has been done in the past? There are no holes in the outside wall suggesting that it has been added but its a fairly new build so I suspect it would have been put in while being built.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
A flat can if the edge beam of the concrete floor goes through the cavity.

What sort of floor does your flat have Ross?

If its that new i cant imagine that the lower floor walls would be insulated and not the upper floors.

they would have used that solid batt stuff

I am in the dubious position of having had the expansive stuff in the '70s. some of which has collapsed

Its technically possible, but it will greatly increase the chances of condensation or penetrating dampness across the cavity if there are uninsulated walls adjacent (especially above) or if there are voids where some insulation drops.

I don't know about north of the wall, but for us, new builds since the mid 80s will have insulated cavities (or thicker internal walls), or would have required a building regs application or similar for retrospective cavity wall insulation

There should be some plans at the council but no guaratee that it was built to plan - you will just have to inspect the cavity to confirm

Sponsored Links
Under the floor boards there are what I can only describe as concrete planks, I don't know if they continue into the wall or not.
I've also been told that the inner wall may be made from some kind of insulting block, I'm not sure how to tell though but it is very soft.

Thanks for your replies so far.

the inner wall may be made from some kind of insulting block ...... it is very soft.

And over in Glasgow, the blocks are hard and not only insulting, but downright aggressive too :eek:

Seems like aerated blocks and a Bison or 'beam and block' floor. Neither of which will bridge a cavity

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back