Cavity Wall Insulation

JtB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for guidance on finding a reputable cavity wall insulation company. I live in the Hampshire area and have contacted a number of companies including a Hampshire based company which has the highest rating on Checkatrade. However, this company turned out to be (in my opinion) a complete bunch of cowboys who I wouldn't let anywhere near my home. Their sales person turned up and carried out a 1 hour assessment of my home, then without a word of explanation handed me a contact to sign for proceeding with the order subject to referenced "terms and conditions". When I asked to see a copy of the referenced "terms and conditions" he told me that there were none based on the fact that it would be "free". He also told me that it would take about 14 days for the grant application to be processed but when I then spotted the "notice of right to cancel" hidden away under the contract it indicated that I had a maximum of only 7 days should I wish to cancel the contract. I then noticed that the sales person had falsified the year of build of my home as 1995 even though I had explicitly told him the property was built in 1997. When I highlighted this discrepancy he mumbled something about me not worrying and that he would sort it out. I then pointed out to the sales person that he was being a bit presumptuous expecting me to sign a contract when he hadn't even explained what work they intended carrying out and what type of insulation material (for example) they would be using. Only at that point did the sales person mention that they would be using "poly beads" which were well proven and that the work would come with a 25 year warranty backed by the government agency CIGA. In fact I remembered something on the internet when I was doing my research that CIGA have a strong track record for ignoring and resisting claims against their guarantees which may be something to do with the fact that CIGA are not a government body or even an independent industry body since the directors for CIGA LTD are also appointed directors for some of the major insulation companies.

Later when the above mentioned company called me back to enquire why I had refused to sign the contract I asked if there was any significance in a build date of "1995" and was told that houses built after 1995 would not qualify for a grant. When I informed the caller that the sales person had falsified the date on the contract as 1995 he told me that he shouldn't have done that and that he was probably just trying to help me out. Needless to say I shall not be considering that company, however I would still appreciate help in identifying a reputable cavity wall insulation company. I would also appreciate any feedback on the relative merits of poly beads, white wool and Rockwool as insulating materials.

Many thanks in advance for any guidance.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back