cavity wall insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me what problems may arise by having cavity wall insulation installed.

Sponsored Links
be aware if you have any air bricks that are serving an open flued gas appliance. if they are old style airbricks they may not continue through the cavity hence they will fill up with the insulation when injected. this will then block the air coming through the air brick which could lead to carbon monoxide posioning.... whoever does it should check the air bricks.

hope this elps

if youre concidering doing any builing work that may involve knocking out external walls, get it done before insulation work as it cold get messy.

Thanks for the tips fellas.
There are two air bricks in the outside north facing kitchen wall which only vent into the cavity. I understand these will be sealed. There has never been a vent through the inner wall into the kitchen where an open flued boiler is sited, but the kitchen is part of a large open plan area. My main concern is condensation. Any advice.

Sponsored Links
open flued appliances require air vents. they use these vents to suck air into the appliance for combustion purposes. no vent means its sucking out the air from the room-hence leaving none for you . make sure the vents are not filled in when you have cavity wall insulation... jokin aside if they are it could seriously harm you.

not sure about condensation issues???

ps your boiler instructions will tell you how many cm2 you need for a vent.

hope this helps matt

Thanks Matt73
I take your point completely. But as I said before, there have never been any air bricks coming through the inside wall so nothing will change regarding ventilation into the kitchen. The air bricks only vent from outside into the cavity. I understand building regs get tougher over time but assume being 1970's built that my set up met requirements then.
I do appreciate your advice.

if a corgi reg engineer serviced your gas appliance and it required ventilation which it probably does, this should issue you a notice...

depending on any other factors they could even disconnect your appliance.

if it does require ventilation (open flued) it has obvioulsy been alright all this time but be aware that addin another appliance such as an extractor fan, bigger gas hob etc could cause probs.

anyway just advice

cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back