Cavity wall insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am thinking of getting cavity wall insulation installed.
My house was built around 1950 and is double brick
My questions are?
1. Is it worth while
2. What problems could it give me
3. I have extensions to front and rear of my property
that have been built in kit form. Wood inner and brick
outer.Should these areas have the cavity insulated.

Also any other points that I should be aware of.

Ta

George

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I recently took advantage of the cheap installation of cavity wall insulation, £140 for a 4 bed detached with gable ends.

I haven't actually noticed a great deal of difference in the house retaining heat and still have to set the heating to 22 degrees to keep the cold blooded dragon happy.

Therefore I also haven't noticed too much difference in my heating bills.

There are many schools of thought on this but I grew up beleiving that a cavity is there for a reason (to create a moisture barrier etc) The salesman tells you that the modern materials they use don't permit moisture to travel.

In fact it's supposed to prevent internal condensation caused by the 2 walls being at different temperature etc.

I think I am right in saying that all new builds HAVE to have it fitted according to building regs.

I would suggest getting a salesman in, listen to all their drivel ask loads of questions and if you have it done, make sure it comes with a 25 year guarantee.

Yes, it is worth having.

In my area you can order it through the gas and electric suppliers (they sub-contract but it gives you someone else to complain to if anything goes wrong) and you can get a subsidised installation.

It will save you a lot more money than double glazing ever will. Make sure your loft is done too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back