Cavity Wall Insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

Wondering if anyone has any idea what sort of cavity wall insulation this is? Looks like a cotton wool/compacted snow type consistency. Bungalow built in 1965 but looks to me like the cavity wall insulation has been done relatively recently as I can see filled in (badly) pump holes around the exterior walls. Doesn't look like a great job based on what I can see, lots of voids visible. Was concerned it was maybe asbestos but assuming it's unlikely given it being blown in through holes which I imagine is relatively recent concept - could be wrong about that though. Accessed through a strange hole in the side wall covered with a vent that goes straight into the cavity - haven't quite worked out the reasoning behind that yet, although looks like potentially old pipework removed.

Thanks in advance

20210118_153943.jpg 20210118_160138.jpg

Sponsored Links
It looks like the original wet foam insulation - give away is the 2nd picture. And the voids you mention.

Does it smell of formaldehyde? :cautious:

Yes it looks like pumped foam. An early attempt but which tended to cause a few problems, so different products are used now.

Thanks for the replies. No smell coming from it. I'm planning some work to insulate under suspended timber floors and noticed some of the insulation is partially blocking the air bricks ventilating under the floor - looks like foam has expanded down out of the cavity where there was a gap for the air brick. Am I ok to just remove this? Wondering if there's any risk of asbestos or anything that means I shouldn't disturb it?

Sponsored Links
pluck a bit out with tweezers and try holding it over a flame. I haven't seen that type before. If it is plastic I imagine it will burn with a smoky flame. Mineral wool will glow red hot but not burn. i don't think I've ever heard of asbestos being pumped in through drilled holes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back