Cavity wall open to loft and melted frost on roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1970's house with an old extension built 2 years after property to accommodate kitchen and bedroom.

I can see the cavity wall opening into the loft space and I wonder as this starts off in the kitchen, and would this be a problem causing condensation in the loft and if so how could/should I deal with it?

IMG_20210102_105944533.jpg

Am seeing the following on my roof during cold mornings and condensation on GRP dry valley plywood. Insulation in the loft is 10 cm thick but in good condition as I replaced with new in this area. Have also sealed and insulated loft hatch as best I can and filled holes coming from boiler cupboard into loft space etc.

IMG_20210101_100432709.jpg

Sponsored Links
When you replaced the insulation did you leave a gap in the eaves for airflow?

10cm insulation is not thick enough either....

Below is a copy and paste.

Your loft needs more insulation and as posted above. there MUST be a cross flow of air which means eaves vents, the vents in the eaves MUST be kept clear to allow [in effect] a breeze within your loft space

The Government say that you cut your energy bill by up to 20% through effectively insulating your loft. The recommended depth for loft insulation is 270 millimetres for glass wool, 250 millimetres for rock wool or 220 millimetres for cellulose.

Ken

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice guys, the joists are small 45mm X 75mm every 40cm so its tough to sort this as part of the loft is boarded out as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back