Cavity wall that seems to be open to the outside.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an extension room with a cavity wall and the inside wall is very cold. I drilled a 5" hole in the inside wall just at the concrete floor line. Inside the cavity is very cold and there is a draught. The cavity extends to about 6" lower than the internal floor. It is damp, if not wet, down in the cavity. So, there must be a way for air to get in. We replaced the ceiling in this room and the top of the cavity is sealed so, the air must be coming in from outside.

Can't see anywhere outside where air can get in.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Any windows or doors, purpends, is the top of the cavity blocked?

May be lots of paths for air, and plenty of little gaps where it is apparently sealed, air pressure and temperature differences will cause air movement to seem fairly strong.

Why not just get cavity insulation?

I was, in a previous house, wary of cavity wall insulation. It was a long time ago but there were concerns when it first came out about condensation and rodents.

SC

It won't contribute to condensation, it will help to prevent it.

It may be bad for water penetration in a few high exposure locations, with certain types of insulation (cavities exist for a reason). polystyrene beads are your safest bet as they still allow water drainage. A good company will advise you on the suitability of it being done. Given your situation I can't see why not.

Can't comment on rodents, not aware personally it is a big issue?

Sponsored Links
They use smoke machines to find holes in leaky cars - if you have a decent hole you should be able to rig something up.

1954baby, hi

Does the extension have any external air bricks fitted? to provide under floor ventilation.

At times the air brick is not ducted over the cavity, thus air entering the external air brick will simply get into the cavity

Ken.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back