CCTV AND INTERNET ACCESS TROUBLES

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a couple of cameras on my property, connected to a Dedicated micros hard drive recorder then connected to a sky router, I run the DM app on my iphone which is great but sky keep changing the IP ADDRESS which is troublesome, I understand that to stop this happening I need a static IP address which needs to be purchased, I'm wondering if I can do this free? And how I would set up the sky router?

Help please with easy to understand instructions

Thank you

Sponsored Links
I am currently trying to do the same with a couple of Panosonic IP Cameras and have found its a steep learning curve.

The only way I appear to be able to obtain a Static IP is to change from Domestic Broadband to Business.

This costs more per month and means you forfeit your TV package (I dont have TV package so not a problem for me)

Apparently a DNS (what ever that is can address the shifting IP problem) but will have an annual cost, how much I don't know yet.

One of the things I have become aware of is that I may need a fibre broadband connection to allow enough data? to upload to the internet from the camera via the router to obtain a satisfactory image on you phone or remote internet connection.

I want to be able to if some toe rag is mouching around the back of my house if I am out working.

I am new to this subject so some,but not all of the above may be incorrect, If any one can point out any mistakes I genuinly wild be most grateful if they can put me right.

Tim

I am currently trying to do the same with a couple of Panosonic IP Cameras and have found its a steep learning curve.

The only way I appear to be able to obtain a Static IP is to change from Domestic Broadband to Business.

This costs more per month and means you forfeit your TV package (I dont have TV package so not a problem for me)

Apparently a DNS (what ever that is can address the shifting IP problem) but will have an annual cost, how much I don't know yet.

One of the things I have become aware of is that I may need a fibre broadband connection to allow enough data? to upload to the internet from the camera via the router to obtain a satisfactory image on you phone or remote internet connection.

I want to be able to if some toe rag is mouching around the back of my house if I am out working.

I am new to this subject so some,but not all of the above may be incorrect, If any one can point out any mistakes I genuinly wild be most grateful if they can put me right.

Tim

A DNS would would sort your issues. If you pop it into google, there are companies that can do them. Obviously they cost though. A quick search says $25, avoid the dree ones as reliability could be an issue. A quote from wikipedia gives a good idea of what a dns is:

it serves as the phone book for the Internet by translating human-friendly computer hostnames into IP addresses.

OP, you mention that Sky are changing your IP address, I have sky and they don't do it regularly to me. I understand that it can be frustrating however.

I work for a CCTV company, so fire away at any questions and i'll try to answer them!

Josh451 I don't' want to gate crash the OP' thread but what is minimum broadband speed for upload of IP Camera to Internet and therefore remote access able?

Is fibre a prerequisite for success full results

Tim

Sponsored Links
Tim probably a question you need to ask yourself is whether you need to upload a continuous stream from your camera system? That would be heavy on broadband bandwidth.

Maybe an alarm system that once triggered you could access your cameras. That way you are only uploading information you are actually viewing.

In general, "budget" ISPs do their utmost to be a PITA about stuff like this. There really isn't any excuse as with modern "always one" connections there's really no saving in number of IPs used. They basically do it to make it as big a pain in the backside to use your connection for anything but "browsing" so you'll pay them more either for a "business" connection, or extra for a static IP. For example, BT Internet charge an extra £5/month for a fixed IP - even on business connections.

Under normal circumstances, the IP shouldn't change unless your connection drops. But I've recently experienced a Talk Talk connection where the external IP seems to change several times a day without the connection being dropped.

Any half decent ISP will offer a fixed IP address at no (or minimal) cost.

If you are inflicted with a dynamic IP, then what you want is a dynamic DNS service (such as DynDNS) and a router that can work with it. Basically, when your outside IP changes, the router signs in with the dynamic DNS service and updates your record. So you can access your devices by name and the dynamic DNS service takes care of mapping it to your current IP address.

Josh451 I don't' want to gate crash the OP' thread but what is minimum broadband speed for upload of IP Camera to Internet and therefore remote access able?

Is fibre a prerequisite for success full results

Tim

Depends on a variety of factors such as camera resolution and connection type and where you are viewing it from. Over the internet, you should have a UDP connection and not a TCP connection for the camera. A UDP connection can get away with a slow speed internet, but may drop a few packets (packets are lost all the time, but a TCP connection will resend the lost packets, whereas a UDP connection won't)

Simply put, i've got a DVR with web access, decent quality cameras on a 2meg connection, and that's fine for me when i've got speedy internet on my phone.

Josh451, does that mean that I may be plesantly supprised at the image quality from my Panosonic VW-SW175 via a non fibre connection,

Thats provided I can talk my phone provided into letting me have something like a Samsung Galaxi 4 on 4G.

Tim

If you are inflicted with a dynamic IP, then what you want is a dynamic DNS service (such as DynDNS) and a router that can work with it. Basically, when your outside IP changes, the router signs in with the dynamic DNS service and updates your record. So you can access your devices by name and the dynamic DNS service takes care of mapping it to your current IP address.

I am buying a separate router which at £137 which I have been informed will do what you mention.

I am spending what I feel is quite a lot on this scheme but don't have budget for the commercial stuff ,which would probably cost more than my house and its contents is worth.

I have had, still have some swann gear, which whilst extremely good value is understandably not ably to provide the performance of the Panosonic.

I will be able report back how well the non fibre job works because although I was all set to go Business Broad Band, the company I had agreed to use were unable to substantiate their projected line speed in their confirmation email.

Tim

Dyndns.com.

Do sky still use dg834s? These can be setup to update your dyndns account with your current IP.

Many DVRs can also update a dyndns account automatically.

Dyndns accounts are free for a couple ips, and as long as you log in every month, remain active.

You then use myname.dyndns.org instead of your IP.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back