Cctv complaint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a neighbour send a complaint to local council and police CCTV

Firstly 2 community police officers said there been a complaint from a neighbour
And wanted to look at their positions
Then council came and looked at where the ca

Sponsored Links
Neighbour called police who came to my door asking how many cameras had and where the point. Went away perfectly happy no further action.
Then neighbour tried a complaint to council who came around an looked at the CCTV footage to see where it pointed.
Told me that the CCTV cameras had to be at least 10 metres away from each other
And quoted town and country planning act
And to take down the ones that were not
You advice and thoughts please

Complaints from neighbours about your decking and CCTV. My thoughts are that you have seriously ****ed your neighbours off!

Neighbour complaints
New 180 foot feather edge fence
Including gravel boards and posts
New new chain link fence
Conifers 8 ft high.
Watering my grass
New patio
New drivway
New trellis
Summerhouse
2 sheds
Security lights
Garden lights) no impact on
next door
All done professionally and with consideration.and consultation.
Maybe if I went on the benefits and lived like stig of the dump and got high on drink drugs and did naff all to my home and garden
they wouldn't complain and be fu#### off

Sponsored Links
Your neighbour is jealous of you.

I had the council come round to mine to follow up a complaint from a neighbour, he asked to come and look at my camera set up. I said 'no, my cameras only look at my boundary line', he then went away.

Andy

10 meters away from each other really? Love to see that in black and white on official documentation.

it is jealously unfortunately from the list of complaints, you will need your CCTV to stop your neighbour taking action to destroy your property by the sounds of it.

the 8ft conifers could potentially bother me depending on there placement, root systems and light to the downstairs rooms.
Security lights can be annoying depending on position, but most wont be pointing at a neighbours home.

The police and the ico have different priorities, and getting straight definitive answers from the ico are almost impossible.

The basics, can you see your neighbours land or property in your CCTV
If yes is your neighbour aware and are you able to see into their home or private gardens.
(if you can see into there home you need to privacy mask those areas, the private garden you ideally need consent or to privacy block the areas out).

Public road the police are not bothered, however the ico will say that you need to have good reason to view a public area.
The police will ofte ask for footage from cameras that may cover a road to help tack potential suspects.

I find it strange that the ico deem someone walking past your home and can be seen by everyone, has the right not to be caught on CCTV (privacy), but a cars dash cam footage is perfectly okay, the fact the car is probably closer to the pedestrian on the path and get a much better image potentially.

Now where there is a right of way for access by neighbours to walk through your garden, the path is effectively a public place, the ico have never been able to give definitive advice when asked. However its justifiable in the situations where I have installed it, on the grounds that someone using the path has been causing damage (jealous neighbour).

The proof that it was necessary on all occasions has been the damage has stopped as soon as the cameras went up.
Cant take them down as it will start up again most likely so they have to remain.

Does it infringe on a person privacy, only in the sense it show what they are upto, if they weren't up to no good they wouldn't be needed.

the 10m rule sounds like nonsense. So many CCTV cameras are grouped together and point in different directions. And most houses would only be able to have one or 2 cameras at most.

Conifers 8 ft high.
says it all really.
When they are 9 feet high next year the neighbour's going to be really upset, and then 2021, when they reach a mighty 10 feet, the neighbour will hopefully implode.

No such thing as a 10m rule.
Our cameras look across our neighbours' front gardens, and they are happy to have that protection.
But then we don't **** them off.

The first mistake was letting them in to look.
Should have told them to bugger off.

Here's what they quoted regarding the 10 metre rules between cameras.its at FF
So I had to take them down

I noted the comments from other forum members that the 10m rule is a load of rubbish.
Home come they quoted that to me .

Class F – closed circuit television cameras
Permitted development
F. The installation, alteration or replacement on a building of a closed circuit television camera to be used for security purposes.

Development not permitted
F.1 Development is not permitted by Class F if—

(a)the building on which the camera would be installed, altered or replaced is a listed building or a scheduled monument;

(b)the dimensions of the camera including its housing exceed 0.75 metres by 0.25 metres by 0.25 metres;

(c)any part of the camera would, when installed, altered or replaced, be less than 2.5 metres above ground level;

(d)any part of the camera would, when installed, altered or replaced, protrude from the surface of the building by more than 1 metre when measured from the surface of the building;

(e)any part of the camera would, when installed, altered or replaced, be in contact with the surface of the building at a point which is more than 1 metre from any other point of contact;

(f)any part of the camera would be less than 10 metres from any part of another camera installed on a building;

(g)the development would result in the presence of more than 4 cameras on the same side of the building; or

(h)the development would result in the presence of more than 16 cameras on the building.

Did they let you know what they were quoting and if that applied to domestic properties and not just commercial ones?

The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (England) Order 2015

I believe but am no sure that if you obey the conditions F.1 (a) to (h) then cameras can be installed under Permitted Development. There would be no requirement for a Planning Application and Approval.

If the installation was to break one of those conditions then a Planning Application and Approval may be necessry,

Last edited:
@Dicky mint well its in black and white, and you didnt have to take the cameras down.

You had to take ones down that weren't 10M apart unless you had planning.
Looking at that most domestics could fall foul of 10M apart.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back