CCTV in new build advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm completely new to CCTV and I'm building my own house. I want to install CCTV and really want the cameras installed in the soffits. As its a house the soffits are quite high, about 4m's. My worry is that the cameras won't be good enough to capture detailed pictures, especially at night, and the cameras will be installed to high to pick out any intruders face.

I'm thinking about this system http://www.alertelectrical.com/prod/5053/esp-digiview-prod-networkable-cctv-systems, I believe it has an app that I can monitor using my phone and iPad so I can install in a cupboard out of the way.

Any advice, guidance on location, cameras, recorders is greatly appreciated.

Regards

Newbie Neil

Sponsored Links
No.first floor level to get a better angle for faces, put a cat 5 and a good quality cctv coax this will cover all future cctv eg IP or hd-sdi cameras, don't try to cover large areas with one camera as faces will not be visible ..most cctv sytems come with app now, don't buy cheap Chinese ebay specials as there will be no back to this product... Can recommend samsung or hikvision at the cheaper end.

Thanks, think it's going to have to be soffit mounted as other cameras will look unsightly. Will it be worth it?

I can mount on my detached garage Soffit but the cable run will be very long and be very close to the eclectic feed to the garage. Would this be a problem?

Cheers

Just think about it, camera too high up, catch face views, no.

Always go with the manufacturers recommendations for the mounting heights, they know best.

Sponsored Links
Just think about it, camera too high up, catch face views, no.

Always go with the manufacturers recommendations for the mounting heights, they know best.

I don't have a clue, that's why I'm asking!
I suggest you get someone in then.

By the way a cure for the possible interference from the mains cable is a device called a Humbug.

>>>

Mains pick up occurs when coaxial cable runs in parallel to a power cable. A sinusoidal voltage develops on both the shield and the video core. This is often seen as a "hum bar" passing down the screen. Because the Humbug only sees the difference between signals connected to it, the video is passed without the hum.

Cross talk occurs when a cable carrying high frequency signals lies next to the video cable. This is often seen as diagonal lines passing across the screen. Sometimes they come and go, the Humbug eliminates most of these as it only sees the difference between signals connected to it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back