cctv - new system budget, recommendations ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

after finally doing up my house I am turning my thoughts to security. I have installed an alarm, unmonitored wired system which is pretty basic but sufficient. Ultimately I would like to remote access the alarm on my phone and have cctv.

first is cctv. current budget is max £300 to include three cameras, recording system and ip access (to allow me to check in from my android phone) and ancillaries.

I have an old pc kicking around that I could use for recording to mpeg if this is an option and ultimately to act as a server hooked up to our home network. all camera to be hard wired. I don't like wireless.

I only have 7m by 4m front area to cover, 1.5m by 8m path to the side and 5m by 4m rear. front and back camera will be just below eaves on normal two storey house. side has single storey which isn't idea as it makes it within easy reach although will be behind locked gate. anything after the area above is simply garden and is not a concern so I am not after long distance clarity although reasonable night would be a bonus.

is £300 enough to get a basic system running, camera and software and if so please could you recommmend any kit I should start looking at?

or would 300 get me two of three cameras and save for last one?

I have a lot of research to do but I need to start somewhere! if 300 is wholly inadequate please say as I may moth ball this until I can get more funds.

many thanks guys your help is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hi
Personally speaking I would avoid trying to utilise an old pc as a recorder, they can be unreliable & buggy and tend to cost more in the long run as you often need to upgrade memory/hard drive/video. You can purchase adequate 4 or 8 channel recorders with 1TB hard drives on online auction sites for about £150 that have Ethernet connection for your network and app software for mobile viewing. The cheaper models normally only have USB backup rather than cd/dvd but this normally isn't a problem.

Cameras prices vary tremendously but I would try to source some decent outdoor rated (IP66) dome cameras of a well known brand(Ganz/Bosch/Samsung/Extreme etc). Many cheap cameras for sale online boast high TVL (TV lines) and dozens of infra red LEDs however this means nothing if the sensor is cheaply made and the lens is poor quality. If you want vision at night then you could opt for IR LED cameras but often a far better picture can be achieved with some outdoor PIR lights or even just some low energy/low level outdoor lighting and a good day/night dome camera. Again online auction sites can provide great bargain cameras! I have found dozens of decent cameras online for under £50 each.

Extra costs would be cable (~£20 for 100m of rg59 and ~£12 for 100m power cable) and the power supplies. Individual PSU's would cost about £12 each. Also crimps/connectors but these can be purchased very cheaply.

I have only just rejoined this site after a long absence so am not sure the rules regarding sending links, suggesting brands etc but regards your budget it is possible to set a system up for less than £300 but it may take time searching for the right equipment at the right price. Maybe set up a system with one camera only then expand as money allows.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back