CCTV Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just fitted my first cctv at home...not very happy with the result...I got a good picture but have a "Ghost" picture moving across the screen constantly on both cameras. What am I doing wrong??

Sponsored Links
i guess a monitor set up problem. can you not try another monitor / TV (most now have a video in, input, (yellow socket) you should be able to use this to test.

i guess a monitor set up problem. can you not try another monitor / TV (most now have a video in, input, (yellow socket) you should be able to use this to test.

I have two monitors connected using the AV input and i get the same problem on each monitor!

Sponsored Links
What kind of cable are you using?
What is the wiring layout?
Are theese proffesional CCTV monitors and if so do they have switches labeled HI-Z and 75 ohm or something similar?

What kind of cable are you using?
What is the wiring layout?
Are theese proffesional CCTV monitors and if so do they have switches labeled HI-Z and 75 ohm or something similar?

I used Cat5 4 twisted pairs. Using 3 pairs for power and one pair for video. that pair then connects to a short length of rg59 coax terminated on a crimp-on BNC connector.

The Monitors are LCD TV's with an AV input.

what happens if you use a short bit of rg 59 with a crimp on BNC at one end and phono at the other (to go into the TV)

as in, bring the camera in side and plug it in with the new short lead

what happens if you use a short bit of rg 59 with a crimp on BNC at one end and phono at the other (to go into the TV)

as in, bring the camera in side and plug it in with the new short lead

I haven't tried this yet... I will try this over the weekend and report back.

I should also mention that I have another camera, a PTZ Dome camera that I fitted to the front of the house using two cables, one cat5 for power and data, and one RG59 Coax for the video signal and that gives me a crystal clear picture.

I also want to thank everyone for taking the time to reply.

If the ghost picture is the image from the other camera then the cause may be the signal strength ( voltage ) from camera is too high and is breaking through the video switch. Fitting attentuators in the leads from cameras to mixer may solve this.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back