CCTV recordings

P

Passepartout

I had a burglary recently and want to install cctv at various places around the house. One thing that does worry me is that if I record cctv footage then it could quite possibly be a point of violent issue with say a group of thugs who break in while I am in and insist that I hand over the footage of their ongoing escapade.

Is there an easy way of arranging for this footage to be sent down the wire to a secure location in say another member of my family's house in a city up in scotland, and which has a timelock on it which means that even if I wanted to I wouldn't be able to edit and delete this footage for say 30 days or so?

Sponsored Links
I had a burglary recently and want to install cctv at various places around the house. One thing that does worry me is that if I record cctv footage then it could quite possibly be a point of violent issue with say a group of thugs who break in while I am in and insist that I hand over the footage of their ongoing escapade.

Hide the cameras so they can't see them

Is there an easy way of arranging for this footage to be sent down the wire to a secure location in say another member of my family's house in a city up in scotland, and which has a timelock on it which means that even if I wanted to I wouldn't be able to edit and delete this footage for say 30 days or so?

any IP CCTV camera can be set to send files either live or periodically up an internet connection to a FTP server, NAS hard drive etc.

Some DVRs will have a similar ability

Off site recording is available now and not too expensive.
IP cams, in covert housing will suit your needs.

Thank you both for your replies. I think I might go for an obviously placed system (possible even dummy cameras) as a deterrent which may cause any crook to look away or downwards towards the hidden offsite recorded system ;)

Now all I need is advice of how to dispose of the evidence of their putrid little lives afterwards - but I suspect that this isn't the right forum for that :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Be Careful, Passepartout, It's probably against their Human Rights to be videoed breaking into your house and thieving. Heaven forbid if they get caught because you have their faces on camera. You'll probably be sent down for 15yrs for this major infringement of HR, whilst they will get a slap on the wrist, or an ASBO badge of honour.
PS I hope you have read the data protection act, if your using internet based systems. It will be against this act to show any video featuring such scum to any third parties (including the local plods) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Be Careful, Passepartout, It's probably against their Human Rights to be videoed breaking into your house and thieving. Heaven forbid if they get caught because you have their faces on camera. You'll probably be sent down for 15yrs for this major infringement of HR, whilst they will get a slap on the wrist, or an ASBO badge of honour.
PS I hope you have read the data protection act, if your using internet based systems. It will be against this act to show any video featuring such scum to any third parties (including the local plods) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

DPA does not apply to ANY domestic systems ;) ;) ;) ;)

There was a topic in this forum about this. The guy has a burglary in his garage, there was a camera installed on the house and he had the burglars' faces clearly seen on the record. He was told in the local police station that the record can not be accepted as an evidence and the police can not proceed on the base of this record because the thugs hadn't been warned about being on camera :evil:

Again, there is no requirement for signage on a domestic system.

Agreed DPA does not cover domestics.
Most important is date and time stamp to be correct and if the mahince can "watermark" the recording.

Thanks for the backgorund information/discussion. Regardless of whether the police can use this cctv footage as evidence of the act, or as a possible way of just who to apprehend to help them with their enquiries (and rely on other forensic or witness evidence), it may help me work out who they are and make my own arrangements via some interesting people who I know.

Not that we condone that avenue.

Tape it if ya do and let us see!!!

Thanks for the backgorund information/discussion. Regardless of whether the police can use this cctv footage as evidence of the act, or as a possible way of just who to apprehend to help them with their enquiries (and rely on other forensic or witness evidence), it may help me work out who they are and make my own arrangements via some interesting people who I know.

The DPA act doesn't even come into it though, your a domestic user, end of.

Alarm has made a very valid point with regard to validating the contents of archived footage and having a simple time & date stamp, because thats whats going to count as evidence at the end of the day.

Good luck :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back