CCTV recordings

Correctly, the hour back and forth (BST) on older kit puts the evidence out. Thus inadmissable.

Sponsored Links
I had a burglary recently and want to install cctv at various places around the house. One thing that does worry me is that if I record cctv footage then it could quite possibly be a point of violent issue with say a group of thugs who break in while I am in and insist that I hand over the footage of their ongoing escapade.

Is there an easy way of arranging for this footage to be sent down the wire to a secure location in say another member of my family's house in a city up in scotland, and which has a timelock on it which means that even if I wanted to I wouldn't be able to edit and delete this footage for say 30 days or so?

First of all, I'm sorry to hear about your burglary,
I lost a Makitra Mitre saw, a circular saw and a load of cable from my garage last week, and my CCTV system was disconnected because I have been doing work at home :(

in regards thugs threatening you for the DVR, you could buy a cheap broken unit from ebay and if you have to give the Thugs anything, you could give them the broken unit for their trouble.

If I were you, I would have the DVR in a secure location at home, so that you can access it at any time. If you want the CCTV images to be set to a third party site it really eats into your bandwidth. I deal with commercial monitoring centres and they record locally and the control room only gets alarm input and only the basic even recorded across the internet.

Richard

We used to put an old timelapse vcr and monitor on the monitor output of the dvr in a nother location in the house. then all you need to do is give them the tape and all your dvr footage is still safe in another room.

You lot seem to be attacked/broken into a lot.

Ever considered a gun or a hungry wolf?

Sponsored Links
We used to look after a few jewlers but you could go for Bears that have been poked with sticks by angry dwarfs.

Re legality; Code of conduct here which I've found very useful for work sites;

http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_organisations/data_protection/topic_guides/cctv.aspx

The obvious thing about sending stuff offsite is upstream bandwidth. Do your sums carefully or you'll end up turning the thing off because it slows your own stuff down too much.

The fewer pictures you send, the smaller and lesser quality - obviously massive likelyhood of them being useful. IMO, stick a server or mini-server somewhere in your loft, garage, whatever and tell anyone asking that they're "Just dummy cameras"

I've learned recently (having being burgled myself a short time ago) that there are two types of burgular/s.

1- The opportunist/s.
2- The organised hit squad.

The second one you really don't want. I had the first.
Both are dangerous though!

But my neighbour had the second recently in the form of 4 armed and masked men who burst through his door while he was sat at home watching tv with his wife and daughter.

In desperation he retaliated thinking they were going to harm his wife and with the help of his daughter managed to fend them off to some degree.
They had ropes with them so presumably were going to tie up their victims whilst they ransacked the house.
A shot was fired and they did make off with some money.

He had cctv in his home. But with masks on what good are they?
His daughter managed to rip the mask of one guy and thinks she may have recognised him.

My dummy cctv camera was ripped off the wall, though covert ones may have been beneficial.
Arrests have been made in both cases.

My intruders are european. A nasty criminal gang in fact who were allowed free entry to this country unchecked. :evil:
My neighbours intruders from the soundings I have been hearing are home grown.

Not sure what my point is.
But I am now of the opinion that alarms, cctv etc are a waste of money.
I don't have many valuables in my home that a thief might want and I intend to keep it that way and if intruders come along again whilst I'm at home I will give them free access and offer them a cup of tea.

That is one of the most sensible statments I have seen here for a while about how to deal with intruders.
Many moons ago I worked a till in a shop obviously and they told me to fight off any thieves..............my lifes not worth the contents of a poxy till. Walked out.

Alarms and CCTV are worth their money, to be attacked as you mentioned is more rare than the common.

Your words could be taken as gospel by some not used to the internet.
You should consider what your saying when dealing with this issue. Even perhaps leave it to the pros in here who do this for a living.

Just in case your wondering I`ve been in this industry for many years, even used to train Policemen, the armed variety.
So we do actually know what we are talking about.

Twonk reversed in to my van in tescos and drove off, they burt me footage of the 'accident' from that I determined some times, went back to the store then they burnt me footage of him driving in and out and walking round the store before the accident.

Police traced him due to nuisance phone calls from me chasing it up got a result his insurance paid the lot including a hire van.

CCTV saved the day for me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back