CCTV worth fitting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we are moving house and I'm thinking about fitting cctv, but do wonder is it worth it? Does it put people off or do dummy cameras work as well for that?

If you have real cctv, does it have to be calibrated to use as evidence etc?.

Sorry if this sounds silly, but not had it before.

Sponsored Links
I have a mix of real and dummy cameras, you can use old phones internally to watch rooms with free app 'Presence'.If you activate the location feature only records when you are not at home [as long as the linked phone is with you].Can be viewed from anywhere via the web.

Sponsored Links
We have CCTV for our own peace of mind in the main. If there is a noise in the night it’s a quick check. Anything else is a bonus. I wouldn’t expect it to catch anyone doing anything now a days as most people are aware of it and will wear appropriate disguises.

Saying that it would catch the odd ‘chancer’ and despite what the headlines say it does solve crime a lot of the time.

It depends on your budget and what you want it for. You can spend a fortune and have the best but it still won’t see through a balaclava. We went midrange for this reason and find it’s perfectly adequate and has caught the couple of things that happened over the last year. If it’s literally just for peace of mind in the night go cheap.

Ours certainly works. A house across the road from us was burgled. We provided cctv from which the police recognised the two men, went to where they lived and found some of the stolen items. Both men were convicted.

Like above piece of mind. I have caught out a few dodgy deliveries and used CCTV evidence to get refunds from the companies claiming something was delivered or done when it clearly wasn’t. I can check what’s going on outside my house without moving if I hear a noise or a suspicious knock at the door I don’t want to answer.

When abroad it makes me feel safer knowing I can look at my house remotely to make sure all looks good.

If you can afford it why not? Hikvision cctv is great value in my opinion.

I use my cctv system as a general observation system and not as an identification system. If there is an incident it is always handy to be able to playback and view what happened. Also Hikvision line crossing notifications to my iPhone give me an excellent opportunity to keep an eye on things with very little effort.

CCTV is a reassuring backup for me.

I installed a CCTV system approx 10 years ago (650 TVL cameras, fairly basic DVR), upgraded 18 months ago to Hikvision 5mp System, easily set up for remote viewing on iPad and iPhone and wouldn’t be without it.
Managed to capture a number of incidents (anti social behaviour / criminal damage) also helped resolve parcel deliveries that had “gone astray”
I would recommend Hikvision, good quality at a reasonable price, avoid cheap systems, buy cheap, buy twice.

Same as above, Hikvision for the win. There really for our own piece of mind. I have had CCTV at all previous places, so would be weird not to have it. So many people get CCTV after an incident!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back