Which CCTV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to do a diy cctv install of 3 cameras max. The cameras would be under the eaves, 1 back and 2 at the front covering different angles. Wiring would be into the loft and down into a small bedroom. I have looked at the Hikvision 8mp cameras here, http://www.cctvkits.co.uk/hikvision-4k-8-mp-ultra-hd-1-4-camera-cctv-kit-builder.html, but was wondering if this was overkill for my use, just covering the front drive approx 8mts and the back patio area. Are there cheaper suppliers?
Would like the cameras to handle night vision reasonable well which the Hikvision seem to do.
Kits and camera suggestions would be appreciated with a budget upto £1000.
Suggestions please for someone who knows nothing about CCTV at the moment.

Sponsored Links
how do you calculate "hours of video storage" per tb?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replys, didn't realise I would need such an upgrade in storage facilities!!!!! I was thinking more on the lines of 2Tb.
So, I will now have a look at the 4MP system. I don't need 5 cameras, 3 would be OK for my needs so any suggestions for Hikvision kits would be appreciated.
Bri

Don't forget to factor in the purpose of your CCTV system. I'm assuming a two storey or higher building here. Be aware that mounting under the eaves will make it difficult to identify a person unless on the off chance they look towards camera. The steep angle would mean you'd get the top of the persons head.

If you just want to monitor/observe the area then then the location is fine, but if you want to identify an object then they'll probably need mounting lower down.

Appreciate this is DIY, but the BSIA have a great document on what to consider when installing a CCTV system. Available here.

http://www.ezwatch.com/nvr-storage-calculator

I did recently upgrade to a 5 camera Hikvision system couldn't be more please with it. I have 4MP cameras and the quality is amazing I wouldn't need anything higher. You could be paying over the odds for something you don`t need to.
Having had a look at your link, its amazing just how much is needed to save 7 days of video!!! When at home thats not so much a problem as it can be reviewed and deleted but if your away???? Can this be done over the network and do these systems overwrite as do a carcam?

Don't forget to factor in the purpose of your CCTV system. I'm assuming a two storey or higher building here. Be aware that mounting under the eaves will make it difficult to identify a person unless on the off chance they look towards camera. The steep angle would mean you'd get the top of the persons head.

If you just want to monitor/observe the area then then the location is fine, but if you want to identify an object then they'll probably need mounting lower down.

Appreciate this is DIY, but the BSIA have a great document on what to consider when installing a CCTV system. Available here.
Thank's, could get it lower and out of harms reach but it may restrict the view you suggest? There is a porch and the main wall is set back from this? Something I hadn't considered, thank's.

All decent systems come with an auto over write. The oldest data will be over written so you will always have the latest 7 days for instance. You can also extend the record time if you only record motion detection for instance and not have the camera recording 24/7. The NVR I have is the hikvision 7608 the 4 camera 7604 version would be ideal for you I think have a google of it. If you put the camera too high you will struggle to get good angles of people's faces. Mine are about 8-9 foot up.

As Iam has suggested, you can set up the systems motion detection to extend the recording time. You set up the areas of each camera that you want the detection to monitor, and as it sees a change in any of the pixels, it then starts recording again. It can be a bit tricky if you have trees in an area that people walk past, as the trees will move in the wind, and the PVR keeps recording, but it can help stop unwanted recording where you'd just be looking at the same empty scene for an hour.

Thank's for all your replys, I certainly need to think of a few things before I purchase the cameras. One thing I have noticed, no one has knocked the Hikvision cameras so it looks like I will choose those.

We got side tracked as usual. I can't comment on the make, but Iam commented that his 4mp cameras were amazing, so your choice of 8mp might be a bit overkill.

This will help

To be honest I don't think it is 100% accurate as I can make out number plates from distance perfectly on my 4MP

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back