CCTV Recommendations - IP or Coax etc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I spotted clear footprints in the snow round the back of our property on Monday so it's prompted me to put the installation of CCTV higher up the priority list than it already is.

Please could you give me an idea of where to start with researching the products and an idea of what I should be budgeting for for a 4 camera install?

I have phoned someone who recommended and he's suggesting a Coax install of a Hikvision similar to this one.... https://www.jmcsecure.co.uk/ipk412-...n-4-channel-ip-cctv-kit-with-4-turret-cameras

He said that IP camera provide too much lag and Coax is the better option.

Thanks for any help and advice you can give.

Sponsored Links
I don't know about these things, but I have one with motion-activated recording, so I can just skip through thumbnails and watch any of interest, rather than continuous recording. I find that convenient.

Not sure how price compares these days and the bundled software can be of variable quality whichever solution you use but for ease of installation I'd go IP nowadays- cheap easy cable to install, no dodgy twist-on BNCs to worry about, 1 wire to camera (with PoE), lots of processing done at the camera end so the host can use more clock cycles on motion detection than on rendering....
There may be a bit of lag on the IP systems but I'd be surprised if it was more than half a second or so which in most worlds is completely irrelevant. Wonder if he's got a load of old stock that he wants rid of.....

EDIT The system on offer is 'like' the one you linked to? Any brand names on the cameras and recorder or are they generic knockoffs from the Far East. 2 Sony (coax) cameras I bought about 6 years ago are still working perfectly- colour good, IR performance good, picture stable, resolution usable for my purposes. 2 generic cameras I bought about 2 years ago might as well go in the skip- colour rendering is rubbish, picture is jittering all over the place, IR is just blobs. Just saying....

Sponsored Links
I understand that IP cameras are widely hackable, so people can watch your home and surroundings, possibly even turn cameras on and off or change settings.

"You might have heard that hackers can access your webcam. In the age of the Internet of Things, that’s a pretty scary notion. Not only will hackers be looking through the webcam on your computer, they will also be looking at your home security system and anything else you have hooked up to your network. Think about it -- how far are you from a camera right now? Just about everything has a camera on it these days. So how can you defend yourself from a webcam hacking?"

https://us.norton.com/internetsecurity-malware-webcam-hacking.html

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=h...fox-b&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=A8syWp7QCovVXtOokqgM

By not leaving it at default password .....

The password is of little consequence. You would not normally exploit the login credentials to view or control the cameras, but rather look for loopholes in the ports exposed by the firmware, sniff packets, use the (really badly protected) cloud streaming features or exploit the WiFi interface if present.

At the lower end of the budget, a standard composite output will only give an indication of what's going on - you wouldn't normally be able to identify someone unless you are willing to sacrifice field of view.

IP cameras are convenient and preferred if budget allows.

HD-SDI is also a good option but not as widespread at a the low end of the price range.

I understand that IP cameras are widely hackable, so people can watch your home and surroundings, possibly even turn cameras on and off or change settings.

"You might have heard that hackers can access your webcam. In the age of the Internet of Things, that’s a pretty scary notion. Not only will hackers be looking through the webcam on your computer, they will also be looking at your home security system and anything else you have hooked up to your network. Think about it -- how far are you from a camera right now? Just about everything has a camera on it these days. So how can you defend yourself from a webcam hacking?"

Anything could be hacked but why bother? The op could still be hacked if he only used an analogue system and the dvr was connected to the internet for mobile app viewing.

Fyi
Lag would only come into play when you are viewing live images , and even then mostly on ptz's. On playback it is completely irrelevant .

I would go ip.

Anything could be hacked but why bother? The op could still be hacked if he only used an analogue system and the dvr was connected to the internet for mobile app viewing .

Same reason anyone hacks - to steal personal details, finance info etc

I got recommended a Arlo pro and put that in with ease, very easy fitting... no wiring and tbh I am delighted with it, excellent picture and notifys/email as soon as there is movement also stores footage .The only downside is that it is battery operated and requires charging every 3/4 weeks but going to fit a power supply after xmas. I would recommend this but others may say rubbish and point out and pifalls

Yes, I allways store my bank details and DoB on my camera system...

If you use the same network for your cameras as your normal home network as 90% of home users will then you exploit the vulnerability to gain network access. After that, the fact you used camera to gain access is irrelevant.

I take it you're new to network security?

If you use the same network for your cameras as your normal home network as 90% of home users will then you exploit the vulnerability to gain network access. After that, the fact you used camera to gain access is irrelevant.

I take it you're new to network security?

Ha! you ARE funny! We'll continue this when you finish your apprenticeship ;)

What is supposed to be funny?

I thought it was because you was suggesting everyone who installs a CCTV system that has an exploit also risks having everything being hacked.

An exploit in a CCTV system doesn’t give someone access to my home network, computer, iPad, phone etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back