CCTV Recommendations - IP or Coax etc

How does it not? With an exploit using a WiFi camera, you can physically sit on the network and access everything on the network as you would if you had the WiFi code. With wired cameras with web/cloud access, you can bypass the firewall as the traffic is legitimate as far as any firewall is concerned given that the websocket is initiated as an outbound connection from within the network.

With a Hik or Foscam WiFi camera, I can have a laptop sitting on the network with a local IP within as long as it takes to run the script.

Sponsored Links
I can guarantee you someone with a modern day network with any reputable ISPs equipment or own equipment purchased in the last 5 years or so it would take you a lot more than running a script to take full control of their network and be able to retrieve information (banking logins, passwords for websites, etc)

I don’t doubt there is easy obtainable information out there for even the most novice computer user to “exploit” poorly setup CCTV systems or cheap unsupported cameras. But what you are saying I think you are giving yourself to much credit on what you know.

Systems that are hacked are like houses that are robbed they are for the opportunist who see’s an easy target I.e the front window being open on a house equivalent to the user leaving the password as 12345. If you take the nessercary steps to secure something (change default passwords, default ports, update firmware) unless someone really wants something from you where you have been targeted for a specific reason you have nothing to fear.

I can guarantee you someone with a modern day network with any reputable ISPs equipment or own equipment purchased in the last 5 years or so it would take you a lot more than running a script to take full control of their network and be able to retrieve information (banking logins, passwords for websites, etc)

That's exactly the incorrect thinking - this is nothing to do with ISP or your network equipment. You always exploit vulnerable items on the network if you want to hack something which means you can have an Enterprise Juniper firewall and not even have to entertain trying to bypass or fool it. This is why businesses always have a separate BYOD network so they don't have to worry about you leaving the network open.

That's exactly the incorrect thinking - this is nothing to do with ISP or your network equipment. You always exploit vulnerable items on the network if you want to hack something which means you can have an Enterprise Juniper firewall and not even have to entertain trying to bypass or fool it. This is why businesses always have a separate BYOD network so they don't have to worry about you leaving the network open.

No the incorrect thinking is what you have thought and turned into words. Making people believe if they buy a CCTV system someone is going to hack them.

If you buy any CCTV system and follow the normal procedure of change defaults and update firmwares you have more chance of winning the lottery than being hacked.

Sponsored Links
A good reason to stick with HD analog then , only one point of entry onto your network unlike IP cameras....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back