CCU with socket only good for 10kw?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing a hob and under worktop cooker (plug in) with a freestanding electric oven and hob. Current cable comes from C control U to cooker connection unit. Intend to replace latter and wiring for separate hob and oven with single cable to cooker.. Reader Digest says the CCU with socket on the side is rated for less power at 10kw rather than 12kw. I guess as my cooker should be only 30amp it won't operate at 12kw so shouldn't be an issue - but is this true?

Incidentally, why isn't cable to cooker heatproof - seems to be just T&E?..

Also any issues installing new CCU behind dishwasher - not much room behind new cooker...

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
You should not install switchgear behind anything! It should be within 2m of the cooker and easy to access (obviously it must not be so close to the cooker that isolating it would be impossible in a fire).

You can apply diversity to cooker circuits if you wish. Personally, I would not, but the formula is first 10A of total load + 30% of remainder + 5A if a socket is incorporated into the control unit.

Why do you guess your cooker should only be 30A? Don't you know?

You need to know what the total load of this cooker is. Plus, the size of cable and protective device.

The 12kW figure is for switches that handle 50A at 240V. Most cooker connection kit is rated to 45A - that's the 10kW figure, more or less, at 230V. All of the control units, with integral socket, that I've seen in the catalogues are 45A, I've just looked and can't find a 50A one. What's more important, is the load does not exceed the cable capacity and the CB/fuse is rated accordingly. 6mm and 10mm cables are the 2 normal options for cooker ccts - the former is good for a 45A unit and the latter for 50A units (unless cable routings restrict this figure). So, if you connect a 45A CCU with socket to a 10mm cabled cct with 50A CB you can, potentially, overload the CCU. If you have a 10mm cabled cct, you can change the CB/Fuse to a 45A one and use the 45A units at your will.
(Did it really take me over half an hour to post this?? :confused:

securespark said:
You should not install switchgear behind anything! It should be within 2m of the cooker and easy to access (obviously it must not be so close to the cooker that isolating it would be impossible in a fire).

You can apply diversity to cooker circuits if you wish. Personally, I would not, but the formula is first 10A of total load + 30% of remainder + 5A if a socket is incorporated into the control unit.

Why do you guess your cooker should only be 30A? Don't you know?

You need to know what the total load of this cooker is. Plus, the size of cable and protective device.

Hi, the control unit is above the worktop, I understand it is normal practice for the connection unit to be behind units... I have a habit of appearing vague unless I'm 200% certain. For practical purposes it is a 30 amp cooker :) Thanks for the rule of thumb re 10A + 30%.. makes sense!

Sponsored Links
didthathurt said:
The 12kW figure is for switches that handle 50A at 240V. Most cooker connection kit is rated to 45A - that's the 10kW figure, more or less, at 230V. All of the control units, with integral socket, that I've seen in the catalogues are 45A, I've just looked and can't find a 50A one. What's more important, is the load does not exceed the cable capacity and the CB/fuse is rated accordingly. 6mm and 10mm cables are the 2 normal options for cooker ccts - the former is good for a 45A unit and the latter for 50A units (unless cable routings restrict this figure). So, if you connect a 45A CCU with socket to a 10mm cabled cct with 50A CB you can, potentially, overload the CCU. If you have a 10mm cabled cct, you can change the CB/Fuse to a 45A one and use the 45A units at your will.
(Did it really take me over half an hour to post this?? :confused:

I'm thinking I'll keep the existing cable from the control unit to the connection unit - probably 6mm. Will the cooker come with some cable or do I need to have some T&E handy? Annoying prospect as Screwdix only do 6mm T&E in 25m boxes - if I only need 2m...

You high street hardware store sells cable by the metre :rolleyes:

Thanks a high street store had 5 meter packs - bravo. Cooker installed and cat still not electrocuted: boo!

[JOKE]

Well, you could re-feed the cooker with the red wire attached to the E terminal of the cooker and place a bowl of catty food on the hob.....

[/JOKE]

SO DO I!

I have an old Mog (16) who (when he was run over earlier this year) was much grieved over by many family members , despite the fact that he lived!! Unfortunately, his tail did not...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back