cd on ccu?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just asking,

went to a school were my dad works as a caretaker, and they had a complete new fuse board installed two weeks ago but its just got mcbs and dose not have any rcds protecting it, why is that?

Sponsored Links
Because it's a school different regulations apply to that of domestic properties, if the system is considered supervised they is no need for RCD protection.

school isn't domestic..
sockets usually under the control of the teachers and are more than likely installed to negate the need for rcd's because of hidden cables ( ie in steel conduit in partitions and / or trunking on the walls..)

The board could also be supplying equipment for a specific purpose - perhaps a server room or I.T suite where RCDs are deemed un-necessary (or problematic)

Sponsored Links
I don't see schools as being excluded from the scope of BS7671 and its 'domestic and similar situations' - staff room?

The reference to 411.3.3. (a) & (b) does not necessarily apply to schools - socket-outlets are not always supervised (in fact in my experience very rarely) in schools.

While there may be a case to suggest that many cables will effectively be surface mounted - many may not (below 50mm) and therefore may require additional protection.

By way of an example how education establishments view RCD's see one of our local universities.
http://www.reading.ac.uk/web/FILES/health-and-safety/SG11_Working_Safely_With_Electricity_Jun_09.pdf

Discuss ;)

I don't see schools as being excluded from the scope of BS7671 and its 'domestic and similar situations' - staff room?

The reference to 411.3.3. (a) & (b) does not necessarily apply to schools - socket-outlets are not always supervised (in fact in my experience very rarely) in schools.

While there may be a case to suggest that many cables will effectively be surface mounted - many may not (below 50mm) and therefore may require additional protection.

Discuss ;)

Yes in practice many sockets in schools would need to have additional protection by RCD with the exception of some controlled sockets in labs/workshops/IT rooms etc. Of course we do not know what the board in questions is feeding so tricky to speculate any further. Perhaps the OP could covertly investigate on the next visit :cool:

There is definantly a requirement to provide RCD protection to the majority of socket outlets in a school, but the other circuits can justifiably have it ommited.

The installation will be maintained by maintenance staff and contractors, not numnuts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back