Consumer unit rcd's in new house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The house isn't new, just new to me.

The place is empty at the moment and I went down an hour ago to check all is okay. I found that the upstairs lights didn't work. I looked at the consumer unit and the two RCD switches, the main switch, and all eight of the MCBs' were in the up position, ie in the on position.

I tested the RCDs by pressing test buttons and they switched off. The trouble is that I can't get them to stay in the up, on position. They won't stay up, even if I bring all the MCBs and the main switch into the off position.

If it's any help, the CU is a MEM. It has an RCD on the left of the panel, then 4 MCBs, then the main switch, then the next 4 MCBs and then another RCD switch.

The house is about 40mins drive away but I can go back and take a photo is that's any help.

Sponsored Links
I tested the RCDs by pressing test buttons and they switched off. The trouble is that I can't get them to stay in the up, on position. They won't stay up, even if I bring all the MCBs and the main switch into the off position.
With some RCDs, one has to manually push them fully down into the 'off' position before they can be reset (i.e. before they will stay 'up' when pushed back up).

Kind Regards, John

Right, I'll try a hard push down as you suggest. It will have to be tomorrow now, as I have to go out tonight.

Thanks for your replies. I'll let you know what happens.

Sponsored Links
Right, I'll try a hard push down as you suggest. It will have to be tomorrow now, as I have to go out tonight. Thanks for your replies. I'll let you know what happens.
It doesn't require a particularly 'hard' (violent!) push. Just make sure it you push it 'right to the bottom' before you try to push it back up. Hope it works!

Kind Regards, John

The RCD on off switch rests in a mid position when tripped.

If you have the earlier type switch (shaped like a tennis racquet), then they are a bit of a pain because you often have to switch everything off before the RCD will reset, then you can switch the MCB's back on one by one.

If the RCD will still not reset, try removing all neutral wires from the neutral busbar and switching off the MCB's. If it still won't reset, you have a kaput RCD.

Okay, I went to the house this morning and found that the MEM CU did need its rcd's pressing down before they would stay up. So that problem is solved.

Funny thing is, now the upstairs lights come on. I noticed that the back garden grass had been cut - by somebody unknown - and wondered if an electric mower had been used, off the outside power point. And, if so, would this affect the inside bedroom lights.

I can't see how it would but is there an easy way to test this?

Thanks for your replies, guys. I'm grateful.

Okay, I went to the house this morning and found that the MEM CU did need its rcd's pressing down before they would stay up. So that problem is solved.
Great.
Funny thing is, now the upstairs lights come on. I noticed that the back garden grass had been cut - by somebody unknown - and wondered if an electric mower had been used, off the outside power point. And, if so, would this affect the inside bedroom lights. I can't see how it would but is there an easy way to test this?
It's obviously not impossible that any electrical appliance (including a mower) may have tripped an RCD. Whether that would kill the bedroom lights depends upon whether they were fed from the RCD in question. Was nothing other than the bedroom lights not working when you had the problem? If an RCD trip were the problem, then all four circuits connected to that RCD would be affected - can you tell whether the outside socket and bedroom lights are run from the same 'set of four' MCBs?

Kind Regards, John

JohnW2,

I should be taking a painter round tomorrow so I'll have a look at the wiring to see if I can deduce something.

thanks for your help.

JohnW2,

Sorry, I haven't been able to get back to the house yet. Damn painter didn't phone when he promised.

I will come back to youi when I can

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back