Ceiling appears to be plywood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently moved home. The kids bedroom ceiling appears to be just a painted piece of plywood (or similar). Is this dangerous (fire risk?) Or should I not be concerned given how long it appears to have been there. Should I really take it down and put a proper plasterboard celing up? Any help much appreciated. Thank you

Sponsored Links
You could put standard plasterboard over the top and either tape and skim or do a full skim. There is no need to take it down unless you have a low ceiling and can't spare 12mm

What's above the plywood, maybe an original ceiling, possibly artexed, or fixed straight to the ceiling joists? Either way it will be messy taking it down unnecessarily

Blup

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the three replies here. Sounds more positive than I realised.

Are you sure it's not Sundaela fibre board or Masonite? Both were used in the 1940s to the early 1960s in just such a role (Sundaela is insulating to an extent). Both are no better nor worse than plywood in such a place. Whatever it is it is likely to be fairly thin and/or light - I really can't see anyone humpimg 3/4in plywood onto a ceiling! (so you'll need to locate the joists, and try to gauge the thickness so you get sufficiently long drywall scews)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back