Help identifying wall type

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Found a rotten piece of water damaged wall in the partition between the bathroom and bedroom. Thinking it would be a normal stud wall I proceeded to begin ripping the rotten section out for replacement.

The whole wall appears to be ceiling to floor length boards made of wood chippings sandwiched by plasterboard. These seem to be fixed by just nailing them to timber batons on the floor and ceiling. These make up the entire thickness of the wall so have tiles and a shower fixed on the bathroom side.

Anyone know what this type. of walling is called? I could bodge a repair... Or just rip the whole thing out and build a standard stud frame?

Any help is much appreciated it's my first house and this wall has thrown me!

Sponsored Links
Don't recall ever coming across anything manufactured like that, there used be a paramount board that's core was like an egg box (cardboard square sections). They slide on to head and foot timbers.

Could have backed the plasterboard with osb to help with fixings.Common practice as it simplifies things.If there are no studs could also been done that way to gain a little space.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back