Ceiling boards showing - with picture - advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

The house is approx 30 years old, terraced ex council.

Every room in the house has the same style ceiling, and you can see slight lines in some parts where the boards are.

I don't think the joints were taped, also the paint/artex is very thin.

Will scraping the ceiling and skimming it resolve the problem? or is this a re boarding job? on a whole the ceilings don't look bad but you can make out lines in some areas

Thanks in advance

photo_zpscb88ae7c.jpg

Sponsored Links
I "wouldn't" scrape it because of the "artex", and not knowing whether it contains asbestos. The ceiling could be pva'd and coated using Bonding Coat Plaster to blend away the bad joints, then finished off with multi finish.That and maybe overboarding are your two options. If you do decide on Bonding and Skim, make sure all the old original joints are taped. If you decide to overboard, (best option really), stagger the joints away from the old joints, and use tapered edged plasterboard.

I "wouldn't" scrape it because of the "artex", and not knowing whether it contains asbestos. The ceiling could be pva'd and coated using Bonding Coat Plaster to blend away the bad joints, then finished off with multi finish.That and maybe overboarding are your two options. If you do decide on Bonding and Skim, make sure all the old original joints are taped. If you decide to overboard, (best option really), stagger the joints away from the old joints, and use tapered edged plasterboard.

Thank you, we took a piece of the ceiling to an asbestos testing place. He said just from looking at it, it's paint. But we have had it sent off anyway just to be sure.

Is over boarding a big job? as It would be the whole house really..

It looks like "artex stipple" to me, but if it is safe, then wearing a proper face mask, you could remove the worst of the "bump" along each joint, by using a handsaw at a sharp angle to flatten/scrape it off as best you can. You can then re-tape each joint and then have each ceiling pva'd, Bonded and skimmed as i mentioned earlier. You could do a room at a time. To overboard every ceiling in your house, plus having each one taped/skimmed as well, would be costly, plus materials on top as well, so maybe going down the prep, bond and skim route, a room at a time, with you preppin by shaving away as much of the bumps as possible might be best after all. Leave any new tapes for the plasterer though. See what you think anyway. Ask around for any recommendations and get 2 or 3 quotes from reputable plasterers in your area.Try one room and see how you get on.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I like the sound of that plan.

I thought it was artex stipple also, but the asbestos guy is sure it isn't. It is such a thin layer too. I did scrape some off but wore a mask anyway, and still will even if it is just paint

Well it turns out it DOES have asbestos, but I don't get the %.

When over boarding so I still need to scrape it or can I just over board as it is?

Thanks

No,, don't scrape it at all, better not disturbing "old" artex.The stipple doesn't look that heavy, so you probably could board over it no problem. I don't know whether you're doing this youself or not, but if you know a joiner ask him what he thinks about it. You'll need to find the joists, use longer screws, and maybe use a grab adhesive on the back of each sheet where it meets the walls, depending where the joists are, plus put in screws along there too. You'll then need to get the new ceiling taped.

Whats your final purpose for all these ceilings? Are you looking for a smooth finish for re-decorating? If so, re-boarding, or bonding etc. is an awful lot of work.

There doesn't appear to be anything mechanically wrong with the ceiling, and there are no apparent health issues, so why not re-decorate and live with it - unless you spend a lot of time on your back, no one will notice.

Thank you for all the great advice.

I already made the mistake of scraping one ceiling after the asbestos guy was 99% sure it was just paint as it was so thin. I've now found out it does in fact contain asbestos (AHHHH :oops: ) Hope I will be OK. WILL NOT be doing it again, ever.

I know the ceiling isn't to bad, in some rooms it is actually fine. But I have just purchased the house and want to renovate and decorate.. and I hate the texture of the ceiling and the fact you can see boards, plus now I've learned it contains asbestos I'd rather sort it.

I'll be doing the work myself, I have a buddy on stand by if I get stuck. Was hoping to bond and plaster it really, but can re-board if needed

Then screw up all the boards (belt and braces) and PVA it, then skim it if it looks like it will work with two coats - the first coat to be thickish enough to flatten the stipple effect.

Or, PVA, bond and skim.

Tape the joins in the stipple free surfaces.

Screwing the boards up probably isn't necessary, unless there's any movement or sag (typically, nail pop).

I see the house is 30 years old, i assumed it was much older.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back