Ceiling cracks in room below bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I’m after some advice. Not the greatest at DIY so wanted to make sure I am doing things right. Had a leak in bathroom with water getting through the seal. That’s been repaired but I worry whenever anyone is in the shower that it’s going to come down.

Wasn’t sure if I cut scrim tape the join back together and then re skim this area or would I need the full board cut out and replaced.

Attachments

• IMG_6093.jpeg
    IMG_6093.jpeg
    184.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_6090.jpeg
    IMG_6090.jpeg
    124.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6089.jpeg
    IMG_6089.jpeg
    136.6 KB · Views: 29
Sponsored Links
You can out the board affected, wide enough to be able to fix to the nearest joists with plasterboard screws, then tape and skim. A local handyman would do it if your not up to the job. It is likely that wider area has been soaked than is visible if it was a gradual leak. But it won't come down in the meantime, or cause major problems if it did

Blup

Thanks for your reply. The are with the biggest gap would that be the screws have come loose. I’m worried if the joists have also got wet and have started to rot although I can’t see any screws in this section.

Sponsored Links
Joists should be fine, let them dry out if damp

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back