Ceiling damage from upstairs leak poorly repaired. Thoughts?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Previous owners had a leak from the water tank above the living room. They repaired the ceiling, but poorly.

So now the paint over the joint is warped and cracked for about 6ft in length.

I'm absolutely not a skilled decorator. If I paint a wall and nothing catches fire, it's a good day.

So I'm going to get a quote to have this mended to a good enough standard for selling the house (going to market next month).

From the pics (I appreciate they're not great) could anyone give their thoughts on how this would typically be repaired? The T-junction looking bit is the worst, then the line extends away down the joint. Is it going to need skimming etc? I want to avoid having the entire ceiling redone as it's a big area.

Thoughts and any ballpark expected costs would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Matt

Attachments

• 20190127_103743.jpg
    20190127_103743.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 122
  • 20190127_103719.jpg
    20190127_103719.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 101
Sponsored Links
For a quick fix, assuming the ceiling had previously been skimmed:

Score a straight line with a knife 1.5 inches either side of the crack, and remove this strip of plaster skim.

Refix any plasterboard edges that may have dropped by screwing into the nearby joists.

Apply scrim tape along the cracks. Very important to do this.

Patch with finishing plaster.

Best get a pro.

Thanks buddy - on reflection I'd say you're spot on. As happy as I am to try most things, plastering is one of those skills it's worth paying for!

So I'm gonna do that rather than make it worse.

Thanks for your thoughts - much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back