Ceiling extractor fan in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

I have a ceiling extractor fan with spotlight above my shower cubicle that is vented to outside. It looks very smart but seems pretty ineffective really. Can anyone suggest an effective one that might fit into the same place please?

Sponsored Links
is there a duct above the ceiling that you can get at?

A centrifugal fan is quieter and more powerful than an axial fan, you can get one to go in the ducting but it is a bit big, so best fitted in a loft.

Look at the ads to see the extract rate in cubic metres per hour and you will see how powerful your old one is, and how powerful an alternative is.

You can't put most mains powered extractors directly above a bath or shower as they are liable to get splashed or squirted.

Here is a powerful one http://www.screwfix.com/prods/26867/Heating-Cooling/Extractor-Fans/100mm-Mixed-Flow-Fan

and this one is cheaper
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/41379...e-Centrifugal-Chrome-White-35W-Shower-Fan-Kit

but find out the extract rate of your old one as you want quite a bit more power.

BTW you can flop loft insulation over the duct to keep it warm and prevent condensation.

Thanks for that reply JohnD. I can get to the ducting. The actual fan is in the loft set about 2 feet from the ceiling entry point above the shower. Would a good course of action be to get a more powerful fan and use the existing ducting?

yes, the one I called "more powerful one" should do the job, I think it is for 100mm ducting

Sponsored Links
I was shown a S&P TD250/100T mixed flow extractor fan in a plumbers merchants but it was £102 + vat. This seemed expensive even though it sounds like a really good one. I cant find it to buy on the internet-has anyone else heard of it?

it sounds like the same power as the one I linked to for £52.08

I don't know any more.

it sounds like the same power as the one I linked to for £52.08

I don't know any more.

Thanks John it is the same power but it is quieter and the center piece comes out for easy cleaning. if I could find it cheaper then I would buy it but if not, then the one you linked to would be my next choice.

thanks for your valuable advice as I am now clear on what to do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back