Ceiling fan bracket screw?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve got to put up a B&Q ceiling fan which obviously came supplied with these cheap pan head screws. I’ve used the correct Phillips bit & no matter how careful you are the heads will strip out. So can anyone recommend me any other screws I can use instead of these? It says they are ø5 x 50mm & also have these washers.
3CE7AC66-82D6-429F-BF1A-4B154D386732.jpeg CBAEDE98-B4F9-4A74-8EF3-628C971B5B19.jpeg 3C3B20DE-6BA4-4434-90AB-4DB50CCA4508.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Depends what your screwing into ,if it’s wood any wood screw will do if plasterboard then get some special plasterboard fasteners

A bog standard countersunk screw will be fine. A 5mm screw will have a large enough head to cover the hole without the need for a washer. You may additionally get away with a 4 or 4.5mm screw

Edit------ if the head is camming out it sounds like you are drilling in to something substantial such as a timber joist. It is good practice to drill a pilot hole first to ease the screwing.

Do the instructions mention that the unit should be fitted to the structure of the building which means fitting to a joist and NOT just to plaster board ?

The twisting forces when the fan starts to rotate will exert horizontal forces on the fixing and these can over time loosen the fixings in plasterboard. The fan then drops from the ceiling with the blades rotating. Very damaging to things or people underneath the fan.

If it was me installing this fan I would first fit a ceiling rose to act as a ready made terminal box and to cover the hole in the ceiling.
From the ceiling rose I would then use a length of flex from the ceiling rose to the fan unit fitted to a nearby joist/

Sponsored Links
Do the instructions mention that the unit should be fitted to the structure of the building which means fitting to a joist and NOT just to plaster board ?

The twisting forces when the fan starts to rotate will exert horizontal forces on the fixing and these can over time loosen the fixings in plasterboard. The fan then drops from the ceiling with the blades rotating. Very damaging to things or people underneath the fan.

If it was me installing this fan I would first fit a ceiling rose to act as a ready made terminal box and to cover the hole in the ceiling.
From the ceiling rose I would then use a length of flex from the ceiling rose to the fan unit fitted to a nearby joist/
No the fan will not be going just on plasterboard I've added a timber that is attached to the joist which it will go onto.

A bog standard countersunk screw will be fine. A 5mm screw will have a large enough head to cover the hole without the need for a washer. You may additionally get away with a 4 or 4.5mm screw

Edit------ if the head is camming out it sounds like you are drilling in to something substantial such as a timber joist. It is good practice to drill a pilot hole first to ease the screwing.
I've got some round head screws which are pretty much the same size can I use these with the washers supplied to attach the bracket to the ceiling? Or without the washers which would you suggest?

I've got some round head screws which are pretty much the same size can I use these with the washers supplied to attach the bracket to the ceiling? Or without the washers which would you suggest?

In reflection (given @bernardgreen 's point), given that it is a fan, if you do use countersunk screws, use the split washer and flat washer provided. Dome or pan head screws might be better though.

eg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/No-10-Stainless-Steel-Screws-7996-10/dp/B00SN3LGPE?th=1

Last edited:
This is the screw that I was going to use with the washers, would they be ok or not & should I use the washers with it or just on it’s own?

View attachment 269060

I would suggest using them with the split washer and the washer. The purpose of the spilt washer is to reduce the risk of the fitting becoming loose (normally nuts rather than screws though). Don't forget to predrill though. It will reduce the risk of the head camming out, or the screw snapping and provides a stronger fix. If it is 5mm screw, I would go with a 2.5mm or 3mm pilot hole

FYI, predrilling also makes nail fixings stronger.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back