Which screw?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m installing a ceiling fan & have got this screw to attach the bracket to the ceiling. The screw is a little too long can I cut it down but then the point at the end will also be cut off does that matter? I did look at just getting some new screws but can only find ones that are threaded all the way & I also have some washers that I have to put on. It just says this screw is ø5 x 50mm?
ADBFD60C-48FB-4852-B2DD-9206151BAD49.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Screws that are threaded all the way are fine they won't be wider than the shank, just drive them in as straight as possible.

Cutting the tip off is fine if you do it after the event, but fiddly. You will be able to remove, but may have difficulty driving back in.

Screwfix do panhead screws but you can get a smaller number through ebay.

Blup

Screws that are threaded all the way are fine they won't be wider than the shank, just drive them in as straight as possible.

Cutting the tip off is fine if you do it after the event, but fiddly. You will be able to remove, but may have difficulty driving back in.

Screwfix do panhead screws but you can get a smaller number through ebay.

Blup
The screw I have in the pic when screwed into the timber piece fully a part of it comes out the other side of the timber is it ok to leave it like that?

If there are no pipes or cable nearby, should be ok, best to smear some sealant over it to remove the bite.

Blup

Sponsored Links
I would insert the screw part way, take it out cut it to length required it will then screw in without problems.

I would insert the screw part way, take it out cut it to length required it will then screw in without problems.
Is it an issue if I just screwed it in the timber & left it with part of the screw coming out the other end of the timber?

Is it an issue if I just screwed it in the timber & left it with part of the screw coming out the other end of the timber?

We can't answer that without knowing where the other side of the timber is or what is in the surrounding area. In a ceiling/wall void with no cables or pipes in the vicinity would probably be ok. But if it projects into somewhere that people can touch or brush past then the answer is no.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back