ceiling fan w/ light to existing wiring from wall switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the ceiling I have a white (neutral) Black ( hot ) green (ground) and a bare ground . The fan has a green,white blue and blackwires.. I did hook up the black to black , white to white, blue to black and left the red un- connected and the light and fan did work but the wall switch did not control the light or fan in any manner?

ceiling from wall switch red,white, black and bare ground. Fan has a green,white blue and black. The lite and fan are fine and can be turned on and off with the pull cords, but the wall switch does nothing ?

please see 10a ;)

Sponsored Links
um, being totally unfamiliar with american wiring or even the colours normally used, it is hard to help.

I would guess that this is the sort of fan which runs on for a bit after it is switched off? If so, then one of the wires is supposed to be a live, and the other extra is a switched live. So it should be live to live, n to n and earth to earth. Again guessing, the odd coloured wires would be one from the switch and one switch into fan. But I don't know what colour american wires are supposed to be.

Was there a particular reason you did not connect the two blacks together? If this was a UK ceiling fitting, then wiring two stray blacks together might have nasty results. But just fitting something on to the end of existing wires, I would have hoped they would have a sensible colour scheme where you join the ones of the same colour.

Or it might be one wire is supposed to be live to run the fan, and the second if live to run a built in light?

Sponsored Links
Back