install ceiling fan light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a ceiling fan light (it didn't come with instructions etc) It has a white, black and blue wire and I wish to have the light work from the switch (not the pull cord) and the fan from the pull cord. Problem is that to the existing light which will be replaced there is only a live (brown), neutral (blue) and earth wire - so how do I wire these 3 wires from the fan?

Sponsored Links
since you're in estonia, you've asked in the wrong forum. try electrics outside the UK..

Ok, what joker? I have better things to do with my time than put fake enqiries on a forum thanks.. - not a friendly bunch. I do live in Estonia, but there is little point to me putting this in electrics outside of the Uk simply because I have used this forum before and very few post a response to 'Estonia' because they do not know the electrics there.

My enquiry was to simply find an opinion on how to do it - I don't care what country it says for my location. So should I not be honest, change my location to the Uk just to get a response? Very odd.

Thanks for nothing guys.

Its because some people put the wrong location in on purpose....

you will need a multimeter so you can test for which wire goes to what.

Sponsored Links
I have a multimeter but aside from using it to test if there are live wires, I'm not sure how to test what wire is what.

I read on the internet that the live feed should connect to the black wire in the fan, the white wire to the neutral and the blue wire to the switched live - but that's my problem in that I don't have 3 wires at the existing lamp. Only 2, and even if the wires are live and switched live or live and neutral there is no third wire.

Can you elaborate on what I should do?

you would have a switched live and neutral at the light then..

you need to get a permanent live from somewhere.. it will be present at the switch... run a cable from there.

Back