ceiling fan wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Question:

My brother hung a ceiling fan (with a remote control) in my house the other day, but I'm not sure he did it right.

There are two wall switches that lead to the fan box with four wires: copper, white, red and black. One switch was to be for the light (a red wire) and the other for the fan (a black wire).

But when he connected the receiver for the remote control, there were only two wires from the remote control receiver to be connected to the existing wires from the fan box: red and white. There was one wire left over from the wiring that was in the fan box: the black one that lead to one of the wall switches.

He connected the white wire from the remote control receiver to the white wire in the fan box. He connected the red wire from the remote control receiver to both the red and black wire that led to the wall switches. (This part is my question below.)

All the wires that fed out of the remote control receiver to the fan matched up (there were three), and he connected all the green wires to the copper wire from the fan box.

My question is: Is that right? It sounds to me that having both switches connected to the same wire from the remote control receiver could pose a fire hazard if both switches are turned on.

He said it was right because the fan works, even with both switches turned on, and there was no sparking or smoke coming out of the box. Should I be worried about this?

Sponsored Links
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back