ceiling fan/wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The instructions for my ceiling fan say there should be 3 or 9 wires coming from the ceiling but i've counted 11. Could someone tell me where to reconnect them all to.
3 x yellow/green
2 x red
1 yellow with red sleeving
2 x black
1 blue
1 red/1 blue with red sleeving connected together

Sponsored Links
I'm afraid we are going to need more information, are there anywires cropped short or pushed back up into the ceiling not connected?

there seems to be an extra black wire and a missing yellow wire going on the fact that eveything else points to you having one T&E, and two 3C &E , sure its not yellow sleeved black?

how does the switching work, is it two way?, are the fan and light parts of the fitting controlled by two wall switches?, does the wall switch control any other fittings?

do you know how it was wired before?

if not then you are going to have to figure out what cables go to where and then figure out how they were wired to achive the desired effect.

sorry, misleading post subject, it's just an everyday normal light fitting atm, the fans are the ones I want to fit.
I don't know any electrical terms so apologies for my descriptions:
The switch to the light is a double switch, one for this light, one for the next light along, the second light also has a another switch to it.
On a second look the blue is the same blue with red sleeving so I'm down to 10 wires. the 3 yellow green are connected together to the metal connector, the 2 red, yellow with red sleeving, and 2 black are connected to the row of connectors with the reds and yellows grouped together at one end, the blacks at the other. the red and blue with red sleeve are connected together but not wired to anything (just the dead end thing...no idea what they're called).
My instructions say I should have 3 green/yellow, 2 black, 1 rblack or red and 3 red.
(What does rblack mean?)
Don't know if its relevant but the house was rewired a few weeks ago.
[/img]

Sponsored Links
ellie said:
(What does rblack mean?)
Don't know if its relevant but the house was rewired a few weeks ago.
[/img]

1: r black would be a switched live - black with red sleeving

as for the house being re-wired... in old colours?

and see 10a here

Link doesn't work.

But before we get any deeper into this, do you understand how lighting circuits are wired? Ignoring the fact that yours appears to have some extras, do you know why you might normally expect to find 9 wires, and what they all do, and how you would identify which was which after mixing them up?

If not, I fear you've got an uphill struggle on your hands....

ban-all-sheds said:
Link doesn't work.

But before we get any deeper into this, do you understand how lighting circuits are wired? Ignoring the fact that yours appears to have some extras, do you know why you might normally expect to find 9 wires, and what they all do, and how you would identify which was which after mixing them up?

If not, I fear you've got an uphill struggle on your hands....

BAS - the link does work. altho the pics are that bad, they might aswell not be there

I've worked out what I think is what, I'll draw a diagram in a minute if you bear with me, its easier than trying to explain in words

EDIT: done

diynotlight310705.PNG

The above picture is how your light is most likely connected

Photos no help at all. Nor would they be even if not blurred, I suspect...

"10 wires" - how about circuit cable (3), switch cable (3) & 3C+E to supply an overrun fan?

I think we should all stop guessing, and encourage ellie to either call an electrician, or get a multimeter and spend some time identifying and tracing cables, and making a drawing of what goes where, rather than posting a photo of a bunch of wires.

Your guess, Adam, and mine, are obviously very different. No offence, and I'm not saying this because I want to be the one who is right, or to "win", but your theory looks rather odd....

ban-all-sheds said:
Your guess, Adam, and mine, are obviously very different. No offence, and I'm not saying this because I want to be the one who is right, or to "win", but your theory looks rather odd....

Indeed, i've seen it done like that before though (save for there is a small mistake on the switch part of the diagram :oops: - will correct it), and I can't imagine anyone wanting an overrun fan in a room they would want to put a decorative fan light in.

You are right though, we need more from the OP than proof that they can't hold a camara still

EDIT: Diagram corrected

Those photos are testiment to the fact that camera phones have no real purpose other than as a toy.

crafty1289 said:
Those photos are testiment to the fact that camera phones have no real purpose other than as a toy.

my phone can take some good pics! its the videos that it cant

i think the best camera phones are sony ericsson ones, the 2 megapixel ones in the newest phones, but the old 100k-pixel ones (like the one used in that photo) are useless for this sort of detailed work, only to be used as toys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back