Ceiling Fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi again
Heres the conundrum. I have 2 ceiling roses (both lights are on a 2 gang 1 way switch) in my living room, and I wish to replace them with 2 ceiling fans. The roses are on a loop in system, so they have the usual 3 cables coming in. As I understand it most flush mounted ceiling fans only come with 3 connectors - Earth, Neutral and Live. Does this mean I HAVE to install junction boxes (so that I only have the light cable coming in to the ceiling fan connectors) or is there another way?
I had a brief phone conversation about this with an electrician and it seems that it is possible to install the ceiling fan without the use of junction boxes by putting all the wires into the ceiling fan fitting. How can 9 wires go into the 3 connectors of the ceiling fan?
Incidentally I do not have access to the above room, but I do know that the existing ceiling roses are attached a pieces of 4 x 1 skew nailed between the joists. I take it this would be sufficient for the weight of the ceiling fan?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers :confused:

Sponsored Links
Look in the ceiling roses - they have 4 terminals. EARTH, SWITCHED LIVE, LOOP (live) and NEUTRAL

On the new fitting, the wires in LOOP will go to a seperate piece of terminal block (which you usually supply yourself). Then E, SL and N all go into the 3 respective terminals on the light fitting.

Junction boxes not required - all terminations are made within the light fittings.

OK cool so do you mean that the 2 neutrals need to be twisted together to go into the single neutral connector on the light fitting and likewise the earths? Obviously the switched live is only 1 wire anyway.

Cheers again

Yes, neutrals and earths grouped together in their respective groups... but no twisting... in same terminal (just try and pull each one separately after tightening to make sure both are firmly gripped)

Sponsored Links
Cheers for all your help guys - just a couple more questions to finish with.
a) Does this mean I only require a 3 block connector (never used one before)
b) I'm assuming the skew nailed piece of 4 x 1 between the joists will be sufficient for the weight of the fan?
c) These are ceiling fans with a lights, so presumably there are pull cords are for the fan. Otherwise the fans will come on everytime I turn the lights on! Or is it the other way round - the cords are for the lights? aaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!

I wouldn't hang 15kg of motor and light above MY bed, fastened only to plasterboard and a bit of 4x1 with nails in it. I'd rather see it fastened to the joist.

There are normally 2 cords. the unit has 2 functions. light. fan. go figure. you might even find a switch that says "forward and reverse" this makes your light go backwards.

Altogether you need FOUR TERMINALS. if this fanlight only has 3, you need to provide a forth one for the loop connection as i said above.

OK cheers fellas. I haven't bought the fans yet though - thats the whole point! I've seen them on the web. Also without nit picking they only way about 5kgs, not 15kgs. Slight difference! Point taken about the pull switch though.

Cheers for the advice.
:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back