Ceiling hairline cracks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I've got an old ceiling which seems to have been reskimmed at some point. Not a good finish at all so I am looking at a textured paint at some point (unless there are better options?)

However, we had some French doors fitted and there was a hairline crack running across the entire room. I was going to repaint the ceiling and decided to scrape back the cracks with a Stanley knife, fill (with red devil filler), paint with mist coat and then with paint itself (dulux matt white)

Hairline crack has come back (though far less than before) seemingly through the filler.

I am wondering what I should do next in order to get ceiling sorted?

There is a partial issue with the floor (seems to flex a tad, though not a structural issue) which can of course lead to these cracks reappearing.

Any thoughts or opinions on this?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Have you access above?

If so, fit wooden noggins on the top of the ceiling over the length of the crack.

And then fit screws into the ceiling either side of the crack into the noggins.

Easi-fill may help you to improve the finish of the whole ceiling, where it was badly re-skimmed.

Easi-fill may help you to improve the finish of the whole ceiling, where it was badly re-skimmed.
Thanks,
yes I think noggins would be useful across the centre, what wood would you advise to use here?

Easi fill gyproc? Which one, 20, 60?

Sponsored Links
Nearly any kind of soft wood would do. 2" wood perhaps, depends on what available space there is.

Best to fit the noggins to nearby joists (before screwing through the ceiling) to ensure nothing can move.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back