Ceiling height

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evenin' all,

Boy am I worn out! I skimmed an artexed ceiling today, quite a deep pattern but with limited high spots to scrape off it was a three coat jobby. First coat on to level the recesses and then the usual two coats.

Anyway, the ceiling was lower than usual, not sure exactly what height but basically, on my platform my head just touched the ceiling and I couldn't get a decent stoke of the trowel. Off the platform I could just reach the ceiling on my toes. Neither option ideal.

It's really worn me out and I think I'm really gonna feel it tomorrow and Saturday!

Must remember to take note of the height of ceilings and take my scaffold plank next time!

Regards

Fred

Sponsored Links
NEW_English_Plasterer.jpg
;)

Aye, I've considered those things Noseall but to be honest, they scare the poo outta me! Also, I was plastering a ceiling in a room where they want to keep the carpet so I'd sheeted up with nice big thick plastic sheeting - not what yo ant to walk around on when on stilts!

This is when beer crates come into their own. or you might consider plastering in high heels ;)

Sponsored Links
Fred when u apply 3 coats do u let the first coat set then spread the other 2 coats as normal or do u apply the 3 coats in quick succession as u would in 2 coat spreads.

Hi Brist,

Due to the depth of the patern i figured that three coats one after the other would be difficult to finish satisfactorily as the skim would be too thick so i decided to apply the first coat the night before, making sure i flattened it adequately. I then went back the next day and PVA'd (just once as i was still damp although it ent off quite quick so I think I'd PVA twice next time) before two coating.

If you've got more than just a ceiling to do then I reckon you'd be able to apply first coat, go off and do whatever else and then come back and do next two coats after a couple of hours.

The only worry was whether or not the existing boards would be able to handle the extra skim without sagging but all seems well.

regards

Fred

for really bold patterns of artex you can use thistle bonding (used to be carlite) as a first coat. on larger areas it is possible to skim the same day.

Agree with Noseall.

I bond heavily textured ceilings then skim.

Fred, how do you price your jobs if you are doing 2 visits ? must work out expensive.

I don't like the idea of pva then skim then pva wet plaster to give another coat. why didn't you just dampen the plaster slightly.

You really cant beat skimming the same day on bonding. It gives the ideal backing and is far easier to flatten and trowel than doing it the following day. The finish is also far better.

I agree. Bonding for heavy patterns. Too thick on skimming can cause cracking. I always PVA and let it tacky up first though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back