Quick bit of help please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I do my own plastering just for me (always get one in for customers) having watched the pro's for hours.
Had an issue last week. Scimming an artex ceiling.
First coat on fine. Phone rings, Mother in Law fallen and cracked head open. Sh@@t.

So just got time to trowel over first coat a second time and had to dash off 70 miles to hospital.

Issue is I've now got one dry coat on ceiling. Scraped off the worst trowel marks and is pretty flat but needs another scim.

I know I need to dampen it & will apply PVE to slow the draw down, but can I apply only 1 coat or will it still need to be 2 more?
Many thanks in advance.

Simon

Sponsored Links
It won't hurt to give it another coat of pva, but watch how quickly it gets absorbed, if you think it dried a bit too quick give it another one and let it dry overnight.
Get yourself a speedskim and go over the ceiling with that to flatten the next skim coat if it's going to pull in quick.

Mike

Hi Mike, thanks for that. While I was surfing the web for answers, I spotted a guy using one of them & thought hmmm like that. Guess they give bulk flatness fast.

My dried first coat is pretty good as first coats go and would not have been an issue for the second coat. The guy I watch is a master. I've painted over his work and one does not even have to touch it anywhere it is so smooth and flat. So I set myself high standards.

Think it seems like two coats and as you say expect the first to pull in fast. Really like the look of the speedskim work smarter not harder.

Thanks for your help. Talk nicely to Santa!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back