Disaster looming?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Have done 2 ceilings before now, with no problems. I think I may have bitten off my than I can chew with the current ceiling....

6x3 metre ceiling covered in stipple, with a 3m x 1ft (6mm deep) recess where I removed the arch wall. 6mm due to the fact that someone had presumably skimmed/stippled after the arch went up.

I knocked off all high points of stipple. Scrim taped over recess. PVA'd (4 parts water, 1 part PVA) and left to dry. Then PVA (50/50) again, and whilst still wet, started skimming. Room temperature was about 18-20C. Got half way across the room, then panicked as the first area had pretty much set (I had planned to trowel over lines/holes/imperfections). I kept hearing popping noises and holes appeared all over the shop. I spent the next hour trying to rectify the dips/holes, etc., so have basically screwed it up.

It looks pretty awful. When I did an evening plasterers course, they told you to ensure your first coat had no holes/lines, etc as they would show up in the second coat. We were also told to put the second coat on as soon as the first coat started to set - I had no time to do this. I am now left with a half covered ceiling with only the one coat, and it looks sh1te.

Looking back, I think I made the following mistakes:
1. Room temperature should've been lower.
2. Should have ensured no lines/holes/imperfections as I went along (I was just slapping it on like I was told to do)
3. Over trowelled it
4. Used water (in panic) when trowelling after it had pretty much set

What are my options now? Do I have to PVA in between coats if I have left it to dry? Can I rescue this with a second coat? What's the best way of merging the two halves together (should I apply 1st coat to the other half first?).

Or, should I just rip the ceiling down and put new plasterboard up and skim again?

If you've read this far, I salute you!

Thanks in advance,

TEk

PS - my neck hurts

Sponsored Links
Did you use bonding for the first coat?

you should have carried on and hit the whole ceiling with this 'scratch' coat.

this initial coat would have soaked up most of the suction. you could have then applied two more skim coats that would have been a doddle. :rolleyes:

you may as well apply a scratch to the rest of the ceiling and allow to firm up. then go over the lot with pva and give it all a two coat skim.

Sponsored Links
Appreciate it. How long do I leave the first/scratch coat to dry for before skimming?

you won't need to by the sounds of it! :eek:

if the skim is making audible popping noises then the substrate is high suction. this will lead to a fast set. you will be able to carry on immediately. ;)

......as joe says, 'tis sometimes easier to apply a coat of thistle bonding onto heavily textured surfaces first, then skim the bonding.

a thin coat of bonding will set as fast as a thick coat of skim.

I assume then it's back to basics, 2 coats PVA and skim whilst 2nd coat of PVA is tacky? Then 2nd skim whilst 1st skim is 'spongey'? (I think that was the word he used in class!)

Really appreciate your answers chaps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back