ceiling insulation problem????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've got an old victorian house. Basically the guy I bought it off thought of himself as a DIY god. Unfortunately this wasn't the case, he's done a loft conversion and used plasterboard for ceiling panels with a plaster skim over the top - fine. However, he hasn't insulated behind it. As a result the rooms upstairs in the loft are freezing at this time of year.

Is it ok to simply attach wooden battens on the existing ceiling and on the interior side of the outside wall and reinsulate using an insulating plasterboard with vapour membrane (foil backed if poss)?
Also do I have to make any allowances for ventilation?

If this is the case.... can anyone suggest:
a: what type of board would be best to purchase? (Kingspan Kooltherm K18 maybe?)
and....
b: where I could readily source the materials for a decent price in birmingham UK??

Kind Regards

Pete F

Sponsored Links
Kingspan or celotex are good you would now need about 120mm thickness of either to achive curent regs.
easy option would be to go for 50mm backed plasterboard and fix direct,

I would take off the old plasterboard and do the job right with insulation between rafters as well but its not a cheep option

phone around a few suppliers and haggel

I agree with markthebuilder. Take the old p/board down and do it properly although you can use 90mm insulation, plenty on the market at varying prices,kingspan,celotex,ecotherm,extratherm etc, you will need to maintain a minimum of 50mm behind your insulation as clear ventilation under your roofing felt.

As for where to get gear if you will have a reasonable order , ie a lofts worth then try these-

Johnsons (Insulation) Supplies Ltd
16 Victoria Way
Burgess Hill
RH15 9NF(Road Map)
West Sussex
Tel: 01444 243133
Fax: 01444 871053

They should deliver to you and will beat all builders merchants for price.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back