Ceiling Insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Shallow pitched roof 4m square. 50x75 rafters topped with breathable membrane. Need is for some form of between-rafter insulation against heat loss BUT ALSO against noise from my Hi Fi. Whatever is used will be covered with 12.5mm plasterboards and artex skim. Presumably light rafters will impose a weight consideration and I would prefer to avoid Soundbloc plasterboard. Roof slopes from 2 up to 3.2 metres and a suspended ceiling is not an option. Ideas please.

Sponsored Links
Celotex or other similar board based insulation is ideal but you will need to insulate both between and under your rafters to achieve the required U-value to meet current BRegs requirements as you only have 75mm rafters and you need to leave 50mm ventilation in most cases.

Thanks for input. Have been advised that Cellotex does not provide sound insulation and a look at manufacturers web site refers only to its thermal properties.

Hiya.

Roll insulation is good for keeping sounds out (and noise from your hi-fi in :p ) - try Knauf or Rockwool. Build Center stock them, my local is Wolverhamption but their a national merchant and they have a full range of insulation: www.buildcenter.co.uk. They sell Celotex too and if you ask the staff they'll be able to tell you which ones are good for keeping noise out and in!!! Ali

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back