Ceiling insulations options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've recently had an (internal) garage conversion.

There was no insulation put in the ceiling - not required apparently as there are habitable rooms above. This in hindsight was a massive error as winter is here and the room is frigging freezing.

I was wondering if there are any options to insulate without ripping the plasterboard board down and having to reskim/decorate again? Perhaps injecting foam or polysterene balls. There is a flat concrete ceiling.

I suspect not, but thought its worth investigating other options.

Huw

Sponsored Links
Surely the heat is being lost elsewhere if there are warm rooms above? Were the floor and walls fully insulated?

No the rooms above are pretty cold also.
I have looked at insulating the rooms above which is far from straightforward.
Walls and floor are both insulated

why are the rooms above cold, will they stay that way?
It would make more sense to insulate the whole house rather than just a downstairs garage conversion.
If you do insulation the garage roof, best way would be to put in rockwool insulation inbetween the floor joists as this will reduce sound too. Quickest way would be to overboard existing ceiling with insulated boards and skim.

Sponsored Links
Insulation between two internal rooms won't help, you need to check radiator sizes and any missing insulation on cold sides eg floor and walls. Also any draughts or thermal bypass

You've got a choice of insulating the garage ceiling, which will make the garage warmer and rooms above colder, or insulating the rooms above which will make both warmer.

Insulating the garage ceiling will also only reduce heat loss to the rooms above by a proportion of the thermal difference. If the rooms above are 20 degrees colder then that's a big difference and insulation on the ceiling will help keep the garage warmer and the rooms colder, if they're 2 degrees colder then that's nothing and no amount of insulation is going to make any difference.

What insulation do you have in the walls and floor at the moment? It might not be good enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back