Garage ceiling insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a room above a garage and it gets cold. The garage below has a boarded roof, so I’m unsure if it’s insulated. The roof is relatively low, so an additional insulation overboard and plasterboard seems extreme.

The room above was done about 1 year ago, in hindsight I wish I’d insulated under the floor before carpeting but too late now.

Ideally I’d like to avoid having to tear down the existing ceiling as the garage is in constant use and stores lots of gear.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
If the bedroom is under frequent use then it may be worth tearing down everything. Heat loss is not just through the floors but also through the walls. It's done this way to keep things dry. It's either warm and mouldy, or cool and dry.

Spare room/ office. It’s fine until winter or with the radiators on.

I think a ‘proper job’ is probably to add insulation to the floor and then to the ceiling. All overboarded with fire board…

But, I was thinking to just chuck up some thermal foil or polystyrene to tide me over until we do something more substantial (we may go full on when we get external insulation)

It's no good insulating a cold garage ceiling when you are trying to keep a room above warm. Insulation should be in the floor - especially when there are potentially gaps around the joists and air flow in the floor void.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back