ceiling light blew and now fan won't work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New extractor fan fitted in bathroom about 6 months ago. It is connected to pull-cord for light and is on when light is on. Yesterday the bulb went and when it was replaced noticed that fan was no longer coming on. What has happened and how can it be sorted?

Sponsored Links
Not sure as was fitted by plumber when he came to do another job. Please tell me how to check. (will be tricky for me to reach as it's in a corner of the ceiling)

So you have replaced lamp(AKA bulb) and light is functioning normally but not the fan?
Did the fan overrun when light is off, for a timed period?
If so a little investigation is required:
*Check for fused connection unit protecting/isolating the fan, could be the isolator switch is open or the fuse has blown.
Something like this, could be white and may not have a neon light on

*If switched on and fuse has not broken, then you will be looking for loose connections at the fittings and accessories.
This could be why the circuit tripped.
*Some fans also have integral fuses, this may also require checking.

Identify circuit, isolate and prove the circuit is dead using an approved two probe/pole voltage indicator, prior to removing any covers.

Sponsored Links
You might have fan isolator switch, might you have turned it off pre changing the bulb?

My house is less than 10 years and has very sensitive electrics. If a bulb blows, the circuit trips - we usually just reset it if we don't have a bulb at hand as all the other lights on the circuit are off too. Anyway this is what had happened in the bathroom. After replacing the bulb, re-setting the mains and finding that the fan didn't come on and after speaking to you guys yesterday, I checked for a fuse in the fan but found none. I then looked up to the top of the wall near the ceiling next to the light cord where we have a square paddle-like switch - it's the size of a single light socket with a switch that's almost the same size with 'on' at the bottom and 'off' at the top and a fan symbol - and noticed that it was in the 'off 'position. (We always have it in the 'on' position as this bathroom has no windows so no other means of ventilation). No-one admits to manually switching it off and because of its height it is difficult to get to so my question is could the tripping have switched this to the off position or am I just being told porkies?

we have a square paddle-like switch - it's the size of a single light socket with a switch that's almost the same size with 'on' at the bottom and 'off' at the top and a fan symbol - and noticed that it was in the 'off 'position.
could be the isolator switch is open
You might have fan isolator switch, might you have turned it off pre changing the bulb?
my question is could the tripping have switched this to the off position or am I just being told porkies?

Flying pigs maybe?
oink oink :!:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back