ceiling lights - again (sorry)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there - I'm new and have tried to find my answer on here and on the wiki but my wiring seems a bit different to what is usually explained (possibly because the house is a new build?)

I am removing a normal pendant and replacing it with a ceiling light which has only L/N/E ports.

The room has a two gang light switch operating the two separate lights but the switch is just one way.

So I have 3 core wiring (brown, grey black) - black has a brown sheath and is in the switch, the grey has a blue sheath and is in the neutral.

Please can someone explain which wires I am putting where in the new light (I'm fine with the Earth).

Thanks in advance...

Picture shows the pendant removed from the existing ceiling rose.

207000_206292_64085_49527470_thumb.jpg

Sponsored Links
3 browns that are in the middle of the pendant are your lives they go in a seperate connector. The brown going to the brown of the pendant flex goes in live as this is your switched live. The blues and the grey sleeved blue are your neutrals and obviously go in neutral and your green/yellows go to earth. ;)

Put all the central brown wires into a terminal block.
Connect the blue wires (incl the grey/blue sheath) into the lamps N terminal.
Connect the black/brown sleeve wire into your lamps L terminal.
Connect the earths to the lamps earth terminal.

If the lamps terminals are too small to take all the wires (And they normally are) then get a 4 gang terminal block and connect the incoming wiring as above into the terminal block.
Then run single blue wire from the new terminal block neutral to the Lamps neutral - a single brown wire from the new terminal block SL (black/brown sleeving) to the Lamps Live and a sleeved earth wire from the new terminal block earth to the lamps earth.

Thank you so much - I just need to buy some terminal block then :)

Sponsored Links
johmelad - first up - how did you make the image bigger? Is that by posting it as a link rather than img?

second up - did you think the previous posters had given bad advice in light of the bigger image?

TIA

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back