Pendant Light Rewire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hope someone can help, sorry if these are stupid questions but can't find other relevant answers in the forum.

I'm replacing a single switch pendant light in my flat with a dimmer switch and new pendant light. When I removed the old ceiling rose I found the attached image.

The earth is not connected to anything. The whole flat has pretty dodgy wiring so assuming this is a mistake?

When I wire in the new light do I connect the single red/brown to the live on the pendant, the single black/blue to the neutral and then add in a new earth wire from the two greens to the earth in the pendant? Is that correct?

Also, the new ceiling light is a large box light and has fixed terminals inside, some distance from the existing pendant rose. Is it OK to leave the old pendant rose in place and simply add cable between it and the new light? What cable should be used?

Sponsored Links
The earth is not connected to anything. The whole flat has pretty dodgy wiring so assuming this is a mistake?
Yes, although the light might not need an earth.

When I wire in the new light do I connect the single red/brown to the live on the pendant, the single black/blue to the neutral and then add in a new earth wire from the two greens to the earth in the pendant? Is that correct?
Yup.

Also, the new ceiling light is a large box light and has fixed terminals inside, some distance from the existing pendant rose. Is it OK to leave the old pendant rose in place and simply add cable between it and the new light?
Yup.

What cable should be used?
Unless the instructions say anything about special cable (e.g. heat-resistant) then twin & earth or flex will be fine.

Hi,

sorry if these are stupid questions
The whole flat has pretty dodgy wiring

Sorry if this is a silly reply but you missed the bit where you TURN OFF THE ELECTRICITY AT THE SUPPLY BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING. ;)

I would hazard a guess that behind that pendant you will find a steel conduit box, that will be your earth ;)

Sponsored Links
You will find the fitting you are to install will very mush likely be, that the phase is brown and the neutral is blue
So as picture brown to red and blue to black and CPC(earth) to earth terminal along with the two green sleeved cables.
Also, the new ceiling light is a large box light and has fixed terminals inside, some distance from the existing pendant rose. Is it OK to leave the old pendant rose in place and simply add cable between it and the new light? What cable should be used?
I would use the cores from the white flex in your picture if they are not damaged. Providing the new the new fitting will sit over the ceiling rose? if not! as above.

Thanks all. Will wire as you say. Steel conduit box and tubes is correct. Not taken off the ceiling rose but it's the same all over the flat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back