ceiling masking for painting... no coving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

What is the best way to get a perfect cross over, from the wall to the ceiling, I have no coving, so the white ceiling...then a different colour on the wall... what is the way to mask this?

what is painted first/last when trying to get it right?

Its just I have seen some real poor jobs, and you can see the mask line all over the place...

Any pictures of the masking would be nice,

Darren

Sponsored Links
Hi Darren,

I wouldn't even bother masking it off - you'll only end up with paint creeping under the masking tape. Best thing is to paint the ceiling first and then take extra care when cutting the walls in. A nice steady hand and take your time.

Regards

Fred

I agree, masking will give you more grief.

When you do your cutting in on the ceiling prior to rolling, bring the white onto the wall by a couple of inches.
This believe it or not will make life easier for you when you do your cuttin in on your wall colour.
By bringing the white ceiling colour down a couple of inches on your wall, will give you a smoother base to run your brush around the top of the wall.

Ok, sounds quite tricky!

I really for some reason I thought it would be masked..... hard to keep it straight, I bet

Darren

Sponsored Links
Its practice & if you run your colour up on tho the ceiling, its not a problem as you touch the ceiling in & vice versa. I always find it easier with a good brush well loaded, & I cut in before I do the main rollering.

so paint the ceiling, and a little down the wall.. white.... then cut in the new colour...and do a nice straight line.... and then roller wall, where do most do the line? the overlap line, right in the crease? on slightly on the wall.

Darren

Have you considered darking the white down a little so its a paler version of the walls?

You wont notice much difference but it will be easier to cut in and give a softer effect in the room

When painting the wall, use a synthetic fibre brush (Harris No-Loss). The fibres are all cut to exactly the same length, they do not splay out and ruin the paint line. Practise on some folded carboard if you need some confidence. When stroking the brush you might need some support for your elbow.

harris no loos, what a poo of a brush, worst brush I have ever used, get a purdy or hamaltion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back